Harbor Freight Hand Held Band Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Joe

I built this a while back it is a HF band saw that is mounted vertical, I made the tubing frame, milled the slot in the table and it works great, don't take up much room the only short side of the machine there are very loud but good side it don't take long to cut, the gear under the machine is out of a Briggs and Stratton engine, I used it for the lobe on the cam that is in line with the variable speed switch, just turn the great to the speed that you desire, then back clock wise and it shut off.

Attachments

• hand held ban saw 1.jpg
    hand held ban saw 1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Vertical Bandsaw 1.jpg
    Vertical Bandsaw 1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 698
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

This is exactly what I use--I've had it for years. I modded the base and table off an ancient 3 wheel band saw that I got at a lawn sale for $15.00. Was looking at these recently and they are a bit more expensive now--I think mine was around $65.00. The blade they come with is trash--with a good bi-metal blade it is perfect for cutting blanks, etc. Cuts anything like butter, including steel.

Can't find a picture ATM--will have to take another.

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

lorbay

I was going to build one for mine and then I saw this one for $120 and said I can't build one for that. They also make one for several other portable band saws. Including the HF model.
Lin

Attachments

• IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 449

mecompco

I was going to build one for mine and then I saw this one for $120 and said I can't build one for that. They also make one for several other portable band saws. Including the HF model.
Lin

That is nice! Where did you find it? My base is fine, but I've only got one screw holding my table to the little metal "V" notch that comes on the saw and it is not exactly square (square enough for cutting blanks, but I wish it were more accurate).

lorbay

Lin

That is nice! Where did you find it? My base is fine, but I've only got one screw holding my table to the little metal "V" notch that comes on the saw and it is not exactly square (square enough for cutting blanks, but I wish it were more accurate).

As Greg said above. From Swagoffroad.com. They are in Oregon.
Lin

Pen Joe

Thanks you all, I have two Milwaukie's but did not want to tie up for a project like this, did not want to mount and un-mount so this was hatched, have a real old Delta but takes up to much room in my small shop, I did change the blade out first thing, also took it complete apart cleaned the grime and greased the bearings, I had looked at those on line but that introduction price they show you don't get much if you start looking closely.

JPW062

What kinds of blades can you get for these?
I am seriously considering selling my bandsaw and looking at another and had not considered this option. The portable ones seem to have just a few 1/2 inch blades available. Mostly about 10 tpi. OK for re-sawing pen blanks, but wouldn't be much good for scroll-work.

I need smaller and more mobile, so another option I have consideredis Festool carvex with jigsaw table. Looking at set-ups that would still have utility If I buy a 14" wood saw down the road. I know some say a 10" bench top is still nice even once one has a 14-18" for small stuff.

lorbay

I am seriously considering selling my bandsaw and looking at another and had not considered this option. The portable ones seem to have just a few 1/2 inch blades available. Mostly about 10 tpi. OK for re-sawing pen blanks, but wouldn't be much good for scroll-work.

I need smaller and more mobile, so another option I have consideredis Festool carvex with jigsaw table. Looking at set-ups that would still have utility If I buy a 14" wood saw down the road. I know some say a 10" bench top is still nice even once one has a 14-18" for small stuff.

They only have 1/2" blades for these in about 4 different tpi configurations.
Lin

mecompco

They only have 1/2" blades for these in about 4 different tpi configurations.
Lin

These portables do have some limitations--I use mine because I already had it. It is nice to be able to chew through anything reasonable without changing blades, including the odd steel project. I am refurbing a freebie Craftsman 12" saw I was given for other band saw uses.

Top Bottom