Harbor Freight Disc Sanders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizical

Hey everyone,

Can anyone here tell me if they bought any of the disc sanders from HB. I am interested in getting one, but I am curious to know if they are any good or not? thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I bought one several years ago. I have used it primarily for squaring pen blanks.
It really is a piece of junk that would be unsatisfactory if I had to change any of the settings.
That said, it keeps the 90 degree setting and does what I require.

Larry

Bill Arnold

In my opinion Harbor friehgt sells garbage! Never order from them if you expect quality.
I don't own stock in HF, but making a blanket statement like that does nobody any good. As with any vendor, one needs to examine an individual product to determine its suitability to their particular application.

For instance, I have bought several tools from HF over the years. Most of their hand tools are cheap knockoffs made with cheap materials, so I stay away from them. I've heard good reports about their lathe and other power tools. I've had two trim routers, a cut-out tool, HVLP sprayer and other items that have served me well. I have a PC trim router, but reach for one of my HF units because it's easier to adjust.

As to the original question, I'm not familiar with their disc sander. I have a Jet 12" that I got a good deal on a few years ago.

Rodzilla67

I certainly don't mean to sling mud. I did say it was "my opinion", which as my wife could tell you don't add up to much. lol

We did try purchasing a adjustable speed lathe through HF, and returned it ASAP. It did not work as advertised. However in there defense, they did give me full refund, with no hassle.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
That's one of my biggest pet peeves...blanket statements rarely encapsulate the entire truth.

Yes, they do have a lot of junk...but they have some absolute diamonds in the rough too..

I LOVE the full-sized lathe they sell. Their turning tools are good too, and I've heard good things about the dust collector...

rej19

There are some extremely good deals at HF. You just need to look closely at the item and see if it meets your needs and quality. I have used them mainly for seldom used items that I could not justify paying 3 times as much and just let it set. I just picked up some hold down jigs for a Shopsmith to hold my pen blank vise for $5.95 each. They work great. They have some unique items that are worth a look.....IMHO.

OldWrangler

The last time I went through HF, I walked 3 complete aisles before I saw something that wasn't made in China and then it was some piece of dung made in Korea.
The Chinese tools are what the Japanese were in the 50's and 60's....just crap built as cheaply as possible to undersell anyone elses product. I left without a purchase and probably won't be back. My family has quit buying at Wal Mart for the same reason...all Chinese.
I'm surprised their Birdnest didn't cave in but then maybe they had foreigh contractors built it. They did put on a good show but mostly to showcase their own atheletes.
"In my opinion" the Chinese are building junk and HF is selling it.

fyrcaptn

you get what you pay for

my best HF purchase was the transfer punch set in variable sizes about $6 I could have paid that much (or more) for one, say from SnapOn. I don't know how many I'd need or what sizes, so maybe $100 or more for the ones I've used in the set so far. For the <10 times I've used them so far its hard to beat the investment. IF I used them 10 times a day every day I could justify the $100, and the HF set would be shot.
I try to buy the best tools I can afford (or justify) that will do the job I need done.

les-smith

Hey everyone,

Can anyone here tell me if they bought any of the disc sanders from HB. I am interested in getting one, but I am curious to know if they are any good or not? thanks

I think we are getting of track. Kevin wants to know if anyone has bought any disc sanders from HF. I haven't, but I hope you get your specific question answered.

Hey everyone,

Kevin,
I have the little 1 inch belt sander that has a 4" disc sander on the side from HF... it rattles and vibrates like crazy, but the disc sander stays true and I use the belt sander a lot for lots of things, but mostly to sharpen my tools... does a fast, quick job and I get some pretty sharp edges.

Top Bottom