Happy Birthday to Me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sandsini

I have been working with a family member who I promised a pen to and built a Monarch in Gaboon Ebony to show her what a black bodied pen can look like. I figured if she didn't like it I would post it on my Etsy page or put it into inventory for my next show. The fates, however, intervened.

I tried a couple of these large bodied pens from WoodPenPro and I like the size and the detailing makes a nice impact, but I have concerns about the quality of the kits. I put together a Commissioner last weekend and had problems with the threaded insert in the cap being way too lose and now this Monarch kit had the opposite problem. I had a devil of a time getting the upper tube honed out enough to get the bushings in, and then, once I removed enough material that they could go in smoothly and I turned the blank, I had to hone and file a ton more material off of the tube to get the finial piece and center band in.

Ultimately, after about an hour of filing and honing I still didn't get enough material out and the finial was still a very tight fit. In frustration I pressed it together and, ultimately, cracked the cap. Twice. After the first time I repaired the cap section, re-turned and re-finished it, filed and scraped some more, sanded the finial down, pressed it in again and cracked it in a new place. I think the tube was just too small, and I believe that the tube on the Commissioner was too large.

Again, I'm kind of a noob, so I could be completely full of it. But If I purchase any more of these kits, I am going to be very suspicious of their quality control.

So, rather than sell it or give it away, I am going to take it for my own personal pen. It is my birthday today after all...

Attachments

• P1011264.jpg
    P1011264.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMAG0645.jpg
    IMAG0645.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMAG0641.jpg
    IMAG0641.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom