Hands protection?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yaroslaw

So, about hands.

We are not allowed to use fabrics gloves during work with spinning mechanisms (lathes) for very strong safety reasons. Latex gloves does nothing to protect my hands as they are torn away by simplest touch to bushings or skew edge:\ As a result my hands always look awfully after few days work, and they are usually overdryed, sometimes with glue marks, oil/dust mix embedded etc.

How do you protect your hands, or - skin on your hands?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

So, about hands.

We are not allowed to use fabrics gloves during work with spinning mechanisms (lathes) for very strong safety reasons. Latex gloves does nothing to protect my hands as they are torn away by simplest touch to bushings or skew edge:\ As a result my hands always look awfully after few days work, and they are usually overdryed, sometimes with glue marks, oil/dust mix embedded etc.

How do you protect your hands, or - skin on your hands?

There is only one type of glove that I see suitable in your situation, and that is the high quality thin lather tight fit leather gloves..!

These are specially made for people that need to protect their hands skin and still have full touch feeling while working. I know of a few auto-mechanics that use them, they are black in colour and they fit almost like a latex glove. Oils and similar stuff doesn't destroy them however, I'm sure they have to be cleaned in a certain way at the end of each day's work, for these auto-mechanic people (oils, grease, etc...!)

I don't think that would be too difficult to find where to buy these type gloves, if you do a Google search, I never asked where they got them from so I don't know...!

Let us know if you find them...!

Cheers
George

Ed McDonnell

There are products that you can apply to your hands to protect them from chemicals and dirt. One of them is called Gloves In A Bottle, but there are others (e.g. Liquid Gloves):

Gloves in a Bottle® - Lee Valley Tools

Gloves In A Bottle worked pretty well for me. If you don't have it available locally, maybe you can find something similar (or mail order). It won't protect you from physical abrasions or cuts. Maybe a combination of Liquid Gloves and a little more caution on contacting sharp / abrasive surfaces will solve your problem.

Ed

yaroslaw

There are products that you can apply to your hands to protect them from chemicals and dirt. One of them is called Gloves In A Bottle, but there are others (e.g. Liquid Gloves):

Gloves in a Bottle® - Lee Valley Tools

Gloves In A Bottle worked pretty well for me. If you don't have it available locally, maybe you can find something similar (or mail order). It won't protect you from physical abrasions or cuts. Maybe a combination of Liquid Gloves and a little more caution on contacting sharp / abrasive surfaces will solve your problem.

Ed

Ed, it's exactly the product I've found out on ebay yesterday that pushed me to start this thread. Good to know that someone uses it and it helps. Haven't found anything like this locally, but internet search gives two types of product - one being Gloves in a bottle, that do not wash off with water, and all others are washing off easily with all contamination.
What really works better?

On leather gloves - are they safe near lathe?? I've heard a lot about "do not ever ever wear gloves that cannot be thorn apart if they catch" and I should agree. Also, which exactly brand|type are you wearing, If you have a link or foto it would help to understand what exactly to look for.

Dan Hintz

If you absolutely must wear gloves (and some situations require them), wear a tight-fitting glove with the finger cut off all of the way back to the web of your hands. Then, protect your fingertips with short finger cots. If a cot gets caught (say that five times fast!), it will come off of your finger rather than eventually wrapping your entire body around the lathe (starting with your hand). If the glove gets caught, you're too close to the spinny stuff. At high speeds, a latex glove is just as likely to pull your hand in than anything else... no time for it to rip before momentum carries you in.

The only time I wear a glove is when turning dry wood with a gouge, like hollowing a bowl... heavy amounts of very hot chips hitting my hand can burn, so I protect the back of it. Once the major work is done, the glove comes back off. I considered wearing cots during CA application, but I quickly learned that a triple- or quadruple-folded paper towel protects the digits just fine.

THarvey

I do not wear gloves while turning. I do sometimes wear mechanics glove doing other woodworking projects.

I found a good way to get glue stains off my hand is to scrub the area with a small bead of toothpaste and warm water. This works really well with polyeurathane glue stains.

I like "Corn Huskers Lotion" when my hands are dry. It is glistern based, has very no fragrance and is not sticky when absorbed in skin.

preacherman

I do not wear gloves while turning but while finishing. Especially if I am using CA. I wear nitrile gloves. Much tougher than latex but if there should be a catch they will tear and not pull your hand into the lathe.

Top Bottom