Handmade pen blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisinOR

I've been doing some searching for a couple days now. I'm trying to find a source for truely outstanding handmade acrylic, inlace, or some other synthetic pen blanks. Anyone have any ideas. I've found some that I like on the HUT website. But I'm looking for spectacular.... Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Nilluka

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

try this post in the individual classified section, there's a bunch of members that cast their own non-wood blanks and also some who just sell reall nice ones. aluminite, PR, acrylic, etc. ed brown is one guy who sells some really nice ones. i am a happy customer of his! [:D]

also, the trustone blanks from CSUSA are quite nice. italian something or another are also nice ones... i think ed gets those.

ChrisinOR

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Chris,

I am the ed in question, and I LOVE selling blanks. But, have you turned any plastic???

Oh yeah.... Acrylics, Inlace, etc... I've also turned a couple pens that I cast myself.

Chris Nilluka

gerryr

Have you looked at what's available from the usual sources like AZ Silhouette, Beartooth Woods, Craft Supplies, Woodturningz, Pedigree Woodcraft, Wood Pen Pro, PSI, Pipe Makers Emporium, Mr. Ed, etc? Your description of what you're looking for is rather vague. What you think is outstanding, others might think is ugly, so it's hard to offer much help other than point you to all the usual sources.

rhahnfl

I personally think Ed Brown (ed4copies) has some of the nicest on the net. Some of the others do also. Have you tried a cast snakeskin like from AZ or such? They also rank right up there with me as well as corn cobs and brass cartridge pens.

IPD_Mrs

Take a look at Ed Davidsons on Arizona Silhouette's web site. The mother earth is really nice. Also the Snow Leopard that Ed Brown has looks great, still want to see the malachite though. [:p]

Mike

ChrisinOR

Yeah I know what I'm looking for sounds kind of vague. Reason? I'm not sure how to describe what I'm looking for. Corian has a few new products out. One call ed "Burled Beach" and the other "Clam Shell" both are real pretty. But try and visualize with me here... what I am envisioning is a deep blue spider webbing with black and maybe some red. With a lot of depth, maybe the outside being clear so you can see inside. Sounds weird I know. But in my minds eye it looks pretty cool. I have a few ideas on how I might be able to cast this myself, not sure if it would work though. But that's a topic for a different section.

Chris Nilluka

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
<br />Take a look at Ed Davidsons on Arizona Silhouette's web site. The mother earth is really nice. Also the Snow Leopard that Ed Brown has looks great, still want to see the malachite though. [:p]

Mike

Mike,

The malachite and lapis are NOT real impressive. Sorry, I buy these things sight unseen. They are pretty pens, but you won't mistake them for the gems!!!![:(][:(][:(]

gerryr

Ed,
You have malachite and lapis pen blanks or are you talking about Tru Stone? I personally think the Tru Stone malachite and lapis are pretty impressive.

GaryMGg

Always curious to learn, I noticed this

342.jpg

linked to this album
http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_cat.asp?sqldtl=3104

I don't know this individual yet.
It was one of the random pictures on the home page and what I'd consider a gorgeous homebrewed cast blank in the photo.

Gary

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Ed,
You have malachite and lapis pen blanks or are you talking about Tru Stone? I personally think the Tru Stone malachite and lapis are pretty impressive.

Gerry,

I am referring to my alternative material. The malachite is a pretty green and makes a nice pen, but it does NOT look like malachite - yes, tru-stone is very realistic.

(Same story with the lapis - except here the tru-stone is a real turning-challenge - it can be done, but it would rather not!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom