Handle for Jet Mini to tighten?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Hi,
I am trying to drill on my lathe and sometimes the handle comes loose after I tighten. What have others done to help improve this?

I have seen some folks add on a handle. Does that help? How do you build/mount the handle?

Thanks,
Nick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Which handle are you talking about? The one for the tailstock? If so, you may need to replace the tailstock lock washer (underneath the tailstock).

Nickfff

Which handle are you talking about? The one for the tailstock? If so, you may need to replace the tailstock lock washer (underneath the tailstock).

Tailstock handle.

What did you replace the lock washer with?

randyrls

Tailstock handle.

What did you replace the lock washer with?

If you look at the undersize of the tail stock, there is a stepped round washer. Several folks here have made larger square washers to increase the contact area and hence the locking force of the tail stock.

I don't have my Jet 1014 any longer.

Nickfff

Randy,
How did others create the square washers and did it help?

My question was in reference to the long tailstock handle.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Nickfff said:
Randy,
How did others create the square washers and did it help?

My question was in reference to the long tailstock handle.

I bought a square washer and it definately helps. The round one could unscrew and that let it get loose and the square stays in position as well as fits the channel of the bed so much better. I don't know if anyone is still making them as I got mine 2nd hand, but I'll never go back to the stock one!

Freethinker

My Jet 1014 has a Nyloc nut on the threaded rod the washer is fitted over, and no matter how much the washer ever turned, it is not going to get any looser --or tighter-- than where I set it. Mine locks rock solid.

The problem i have is that when a long mandrel is inserted into the tailstock and aimed end-to-end at a mandrel or dead center in the headstock, they are misaligned by maybe 0.010", to the side AND up and down also........I contacted Jet, the tech guy there wanted to send me a new quill assembly, I tried to tell him that the problem was NOT in the quill assembly but in the alignment of the bottom of the tailstock itself.

He sent me the quill anyway, after installation it measured exactly the same misalignment as the old one, so I still have a lathe that is misaligned. Re-machining the bottom of the tailstock would be the only remedy I can see.

Tim'sTurnings

I added a longer handle by placing a piece of metal conduit onto the tailstock handle. I used silicone to hold it in place. With the longer locking handle I was able to tighten the tailstock better and had fewer problems.

nava1uni

You can get a square washer, but it fits on the underside of the tailstock. Check out this site, he is an IAP member and the cost if very reasonable. Penturners Products!
If you are speaking about the locking handle. I made a wooden handle that fits over the existing locking handle. I made it larger and thicker so that I don't have to reach over the lathe and it exerts greater pressure for locking the tailstock in place. It is similar to a lathe tool handle.

Nickfff

You can get a square washer, but it fits on the underside of the tailstock. Check out this site, he is an IAP member and the cost if very reasonable. Penturners Products!
If you are speaking about the locking handle. I made a wooden handle that fits over the existing locking handle. I made it larger and thicker so that I don't have to reach over the lathe and it exerts greater pressure for locking the tailstock in place. It is similar to a lathe tool handle.

Thanks Cindy, I looked on Johnnys site but didnt see the washer...would you mind pointing me to what you are referring to?

Top Bottom