Hairy Oak problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I attempted to make a Jr. Gent from some Hairy Oak I got in a trade from one of our Australian members. Stuff is disappointingly soft. Crushed the first half in the drill press vice. Not too badly, usable with a drop of CA in the crack. But, the second half crushed completely in the vice I use to hold while milling the ends. I'm sure, with special handling, one could make a pen from this wood but my opportunities are now shot. Interesting wood, not the prettiest, but not the worst. Gained an experience. No more HO for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hello

why do you put your blanks in a vice for milling? I just hold'em with the mill on a hand drill
I'm sure, though I've heard of hairy oak, that its no softer than a corn cob, or cotton wood bark - which is soft enough to put in your mouth and chew up.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Hello

why do you put your blanks in a vice for milling? I just hold'em with the mill on a hand drill
I'm sure, though I've heard of hairy oak, that its no softer than a corn cob, or cotton wood bark - which is soft enough to put in your mouth and chew up.

I use a machine vise with V-groove inserts. I clamped it down with the same amount of force I use for my other blanks. Yes, if I had known how soft it was, I would have been gentle. I would class it with Balsa.

R2

Never herad of problems apart from the fact that it can split badly while seasoning. Used quite a bit of it for pens and have given blanks aay to very appreciative recipients. Looks glorious when cut properly,especially on the bias. Takes a wonderful finish. Always had starry eyed looks from those I've given or sold pens to.

workinforwood

I always knew not to use my hands as a vice. I see pictures in magazines where the guy is holding the wood in his hands while milling the ends and it makes no sense to me. I always but one time use a vice, but don't need to squeeze the heck out of it. Just be gentle. That one time I didn't use the vice, well what happened to me wasn't as bad as the nightmare vision I figured would happen. I expected the blank could catch and spin in my hand tearing lots of flesh off, but instead my hand slipped as I was pushing the blank to the mill end and just caught the cutters with the sides of my knuckles and it felt pretty bad even though it was only for a split second. So I'm back doing what I always knew was right and clamping the wood. If you can't get it stabilized, and are truly worried about breaking it in a vice, perhaps some Styrofoam in the vice first and the blank in the middle would help. Lay off the spinach too. ;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Holding the blank in your hand while trimming can be dangerous to you the operator. I would hazard to guess that within Frank's lifetime (he is older than many on the forum ;)) he has been to the school of experience and hard knocks enough that he has graduated, and now has been accepted in the prestigious school of safety as an instructor - therefore he puts his blanks in a vise! :D

Dario

Originally posted by leehljp

Holding the blank in your hand while trimming can be dangerous to you the operator. I would hazard to guess that within Frank's lifetime (he is older than many on the forum ;)) he has been to the school of experience and hard knocks enough that he has graduated, and now has been accepted in the prestigious school of safety as an instructor - therefore he puts his blanks in a vise! :D

:D:D:D

I too use my vise to hold my blanks and use the DP to trim. That said, I do not tighten it. It is used to stop the blank from spinning and let the trimmer's guide post do its job.

thetalbott4

I've turned a lot of Hairy Oak and have never found it to be very soft. In fact I have 12 blanks now that I went out and checked and none of them are soft. I'm thinking you just got ahold of some punky material. It's been a real consistent seller also. People seem to like the look. Consider trying it again. I sold a Hairy Oak Emperor for $280 and the buyer set the price!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by workinforwood

I always knew not to use my hands as a vice. I see pictures in magazines where the guy is holding the wood in his hands while milling the ends and it makes no sense to me. I always but one time use a vice, but don't need to squeeze the heck out of it. Just be gentle. That one time I didn't use the vice, well what happened to me wasn't as bad as the nightmare vision I figured would happen. I expected the blank could catch and spin in my hand tearing lots of flesh off, but instead my hand slipped as I was pushing the blank to the mill end and just caught the cutters with the sides of my knuckles and it felt pretty bad even though it was only for a split second. So I'm back doing what I always knew was right and clamping the wood. If you can't get it stabilized, and are truly worried about breaking it in a vice, perhaps some Styrofoam in the vice first and the blank in the middle would help. Lay off the spinach too. ;)

Even as a teenager???? [}:)][}:)][}:)];)

Top Bottom