Had an idea

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

I was watching Alan Lacer's son of skew video, and I saw some lace bobbins he was making. Some of them had tiny captive rings cut on them, and I was thinking how to execute that on a pen. I think that with a closed end, it could be done pretty easily and with good style. You can use a sharpened dental pick to part off a bead and turn it into a ring.
I don't think I've seen that done yet, and I wanted to be the first, but I currently am out of pen kits, and I really want to see this executed. Anyone game to try??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

200692412112_captive.jpg

Not a great pen, but was among the first group I ever made.

Woodnknots

Okay, okay, so maybe I was a little late on this idea. How about this one though? I am POSITIVE I haven't seen one of these, and while I think I have the logistics worked out enough to do it and (most likely) be the first, again, no pen kits to use. This one would have to be a closed end.

A caged ball. It would take some hand carving, but it's a variation on the captive theme. I think that it would be a very challenging pen design.

If someone sends me a link to one of these that someone made, I give up. I'm going back to vases, bowls, furniture, and B2B pens, like nature intended.

Dave

Randy_

Not to discourage you..... Been done...more or less. Someone posted a link to a site of a group in Japan that carves the most fantastic forms out of standard wooden pencils. It was a year or more ago and I don't remember the link. may have been Griz who posted it....not sure. Anyone remember it??

What the hey.......go ahead and do it anyway. Nothing wrong with being the second person to do something. For most of us, every pen we've ever made was already done by someone else first.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />[teal]Not to discourage you.....

Too late, I give up. Back to nature's intentions.... Just kidding... I think I actually will try this though. I'd really like to see pictures, if anyone gets to it before I do.

I need to order some pen kits......[:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I am not into this type of turning, but how a bout a caged ball where the ball is free to slide up and down a visible tube?
BTW you don't need the kits to turn a pen just the tubes.
Order extra the next time you order your kits.
They come in handy when you are working out different modifications.(DAMHIKT)

angboy

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Youre talking about Kato Joda and Mizuta Tasogare.

If anyone's interested, I'll save you the step of searching. Here's a site that I found that shows their work, at least some of it. It is pretty amazing!

http://www.infofreako.com/jad/enpitsu-e.html

underdog

Good Lord... Someone has too much time on their hands.. that's just insane..

I liked that double chain one (chain within a chain).

I didn't see a ball inside a cage.. well the balljoint was sorta that way...

The ball inside a ball looks like the ones pictured here:

http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=2798

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom