"Gun Metal" plating: durable?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I have not tried the Gun-Metal plating like you can get from Woodturningz or, now, CSA.

It looks for all the world to be black titanium (meaning: purdy!), and the price is nice.

First, is it epoxy coated? I cannot stand epoxy coated platings as they scratch so easily.

Second, would you compare it's durability to the not-durable 24K gold, or the more durable chrome?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I make all my slimlines which need a dark plating from the Gunmetal and so far I've not had a problem with it. I did notice when comparing it to Black Ti that the Gunmetal is a little darker.

hewunch

it will rub off with use. But it is MUCH better than the black enamel which will fall off if you look at it funny.

rdunn12

Not as durable as the chrome and a little darker than black ti as already stated.I have used one for 3 months and I am rough on them and have'nt had any problems.It is the gunmetal euro.It does seem to scratch easily,but overall not too bad for 3 months of what I consider abuse.I am a mechanic so it gets dirty and handled when my hands are covered in dirt and grit so I expect the scratches.I have'nt worn the plating yet,but I suspect it is the way I hold and use the pen.It is a good looking plating for a very reasonable price.It looks good with a lot of different blanks.So all in all I am happy with the plating and kit for the money.

worship-IAP.gif

I've made several gun metal pens for my step son, who is a truck driver and uses the pens in his truck and carries one on him.... he's never complained about the finish... every time he's ordered a pen lately, he's asked for the gun metal finish.

nava1uni

I make a lot of pens and pencils with both the gun metal finish and also the black enamel from Wood n Whimsies. I have never had anyone complain about the finish and have used both finishes myself without any problem. I like how they both look very nice with lots of materials.

intillzah

I've made one and the person who bought it from me tonight loved the finish on it. I like how they look with the "broom handle" that I am using for my blanks...

Top Bottom