Gun metal plating?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
hello folks

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how gun metal rates on the durability rating? is it harder/better than 24k gold? I've been told its similar to chrome but i just wanted to check before buying a few kits

thanks
George

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I used to use quite a few gunmetal slim lines and Cigars from Woodnwhimsies, I have had good luck with them I don't think they are as durable as Chrome, or Black TI but they do hold up better than 24K or the black chrome which in mist cases is just an Enamel coating, (not paint, but enamel) al;so more durable than most of the satin plating's except for the Satin Nickel, JMHO. your mileage may vary.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I used to use quite a few gunmetal slim lines and Cigars from Woodnwhimsies, I have had good luck with them I don't think they are as durable as Chrome, or Black TI but they do hold up better than 24K or the black chrome which in mist cases is just an Enamel coating, (not paint, but enamel) al;so more durable than most of the satin plating's except for the Satin Nickel, JMHO. your mileage may vary.
black chrome and black enamel are not the same....black chrome is metalic and black enamel is...well enamel.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
durability???

I have a hard time believing that durability of plating is a real issue...I use a pen all the time in front of my computer ... jotting notes, etc. and I have noticed that when I grip a pen I don't handle any of the metal parts except minor contact with the center band--I grip the barrel above the tip and position the pen so the clip does not touch my skin the wear points are all on the wood. I don't think my grip is different from other folks so what is the issue? I don't think I will ever wear the plating off a pen.

DurocShark

It's not only the grip, but the beating the plating can take. Pens get tossed in purses, pockets, pen cups, etc etc etc.

And if it's a clicker, there's the clicker motion too.

The nibs in my experience get the least wear. The clips and finials seem to get more.

Top Bottom