Guide Rod for 12.5mm tube barrel trimmer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Any one successfully use a 10.5 mm guide rod on a 12.5 tube. I can always sand it down. i just want to know what my options are.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I sometimes use a barrel trimmer that's a bit smaller than the tube.

When I do, I make sure that the tube is against the trimmer shaft by applying pressure down. Ie, don't try to center the shaft in the tube, put it against the wall.

jcm71

Tony,
If you are going to be making a lot of 12.5 mm pens recommend you go down to your local Woodcraft in Alpharetta and pick up a 12.5mm barrel reamer from Whiteside. I got a set when our local WC closed a couple of years ago. They accept barrel trimmer heads. Barring that, make your own sleeve with a 7mm tube and some scrap.

TonyL

Thx all. I have no objection to buying. I can run to any of the 3 big stores in my area. I was just asking, just in case I am too lazy to go (at least, I'm honest LOL).

wwneko

I used scrap HDPE to make barrel adapters for my 7mm barrel trimmer. I just drilled a 1/4 inch hole. Turned it down to size directly on the pen mandrel. I undercut the center a hair to make it a snug fit on both ends but easy to push in and pull out. You might be able to make that work with the 10.5-12.5mm using the 10.5mm bushing for any given kit but that's getting thin. The thinnest I've made was 7mm to 3/8" (9.5mm ish)and it works just fine. Next time I'll use a more durable material for the barrel adapters if I have it available, possibly corian.

southernclay

Hey Tony,

I make em. I've used blanks already on 7mm tubes that I've received in swaps or buys and turn them down to the ID of the tube needed. That way they can slide onto a pen mill or onto the sanding mill Rick Herrell sells. Works great. I think I have an extra metal one here if you don't want to make one though.

Attachments

• image-2912560016.jpg
    image-2912560016.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 266

its_virgil

I also make shims for the 7mm pilots to mill the other larger tubes. Any scrap wood or plastic works fine. I don't mind buying either but 5 minutes or less to make a shim and I can put that $6-$10 to other tools or kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I used scrap HDPE to make barrel adapters for my 7mm barrel trimmer. I just drilled a 1/4 inch hole. Turned it down to size directly on the pen mandrel. I undercut the center a hair to make it a snug fit on both ends but easy to push in and pull out. You might be able to make that work with the 10.5-12.5mm using the 10.5mm bushing for any given kit but that's getting thin. The thinnest I've made was 7mm to 3/8" (9.5mm ish)and it works just fine. Next time I'll use a more durable material for the barrel adapters if I have it available, possibly corian.

Tom T

Pen mill has not worked out the best for me. Plastic wants to shatter some times. The 4 bladed works better than the two bladed. I cut the blank close on the band saw and have a small delta disk sander with the PSI adapter for the table. Or lay them on the table and sand slowly. If it does not look real good from the disk I put it on the lathe with a sanding disk on the head stock and a proper drift punch in the tall stock. And push it slowly to the disk. Wood worked okay with the pen mill, but I would sometime get a wavy end on the blank end.

TonyL

12.5 mm guide rod and first Atrax

Hi Folks: I wound-up oversizing the length of the cut, not drilling the whole way thru (after blowing two blanks attempting to drill thru it), gluing in the tube using thick CA, then trimming small amounts off of the closed end until a 5 mm hole appeared. Then I sanded (trimmed both ends of the barrel) using my lathe (80 grit) and the HF transfer punch (I guess it was about 12MM). Worked out well. I didn't enjoy by Malachite tru stone experience. The 10.5 mm side went well, but the 12.5mm was a PITN for me (all about patience...some day I will learn). Here what it looks like. I would give it a "B". Really a C- if you count the two short blanks that I blew. Thanks for all of the advice. I really do like the Atrax. Funny, I bought the blanks 1 week into penturning (at a WW show in Atlanta) and two weeks before buying my lathe. I had no idea what I was buying. On to my DC system. Despite organic mask, shop vacs, and hood, that blank made a lot of dust which managed to get into my lungs. Thanks again! It looks that Jet DC 1100 VX may be the right way for me to go.

Attachments

• Atrax Chrome Malachite.jpg
    Atrax Chrome Malachite.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 140

philipff

I can not abide barrel trimmers. I chuck up the blank, make sure it is true by bringing up the 60d. tail stock and then turn each end off square. Never had a miss, or even close after I adopted this process. OK, so it costs me some time, that I have, but the frustration of barrel trimmers is not missed on me! Phililp

sbell111

Pen mill has not worked out the best for me. Plastic wants to shatter some times. The 4 bladed works better than the two bladed.
I have good luck with the 6-blade mill heads. The key is to make sure that they are sharp. The moment that I suspect that mine are getting a bit dull, I toss the heads in the trash can and replace them. At just a few bucks each, there's no reason not to replace them often.

lwalper

I had to improvise on this just yesterday. My fix was to turn the blank down to 1/2 inch, then mount it in the collet chuck and trimmed the exposed end on the lathe. Worked great! Make sure the ends of the blank are solid wood (you need to do this anyway) by infusing them with a dab of thin CA. If you've got a little crack or weakness there there's a good chance you'll rip the blank off the tube. Gentle, light cuts and high lathe speed seemed to work for me.

texta

i bought a pen mill many years ago when i first started pen turning and hated it , but used it for a few months . then i started using a small block of wood with a bolt in the end and some plastice bushes that i turned up to fit the different tubes . i have only just finished a few days ago making these ( pictured ) they are made from stainless steel , as you can see i have made up 4 so far to suit the main size tubes i use 7mm 8mm baron , triton ,3/8 ,sierra , once i see how they go i will add more sizes if i need to i actually only just tried one this morning for the first time on an 8mm tube click pen and it seems to work just fine .

johno

Attachments

• P1010157.JPG
    P1010157.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 149
  • P1010159.JPG
    P1010159.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom