Guess the wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RollTide

Had some wood lying around and said "Hmmm. Wonder what this will look like". I was quite surprised in how it turned out. So, can anyone guess the wood? I will tell ya that it is from a tree native to the southeastern USA. No prize for getting it right though. Had to through that little disclaimer out there.:D

Steve

200712622277_Guessthewood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RollTide

Those aren't it. I had to go back and change the name of the pic. The answer was right there when you right click it and click on properties.[:eek:)]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Along with Bill's reply I will add onto that: Spalted wormy wood! [:D] Seriously, it reminds me of cherry at the sapwood line.

RollTide

Marc got it right. It is Magnolia. It was an old dead limb my father brought to me. I was surprised at how it turned out. I kinda liked the worm holes in it so I just left'em in there.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by RollTide
<br />Marc got it right. It is Magnolia. It was an old dead limb my father brought to me. I was surprised at how it turned out. I kinda liked the worm holes in it so I just left'em in there.

I have only turned Magnolia once... a long time when I made this bowl... Looking at the pens you made I wish I would have cut it up into pen blanks!
dogwood%20bowl%203.jpg

sparhawk

Steve i was gonna guess it was from that tree i told you about down the hill from your house on Old 90. The one that has been lying almost to the edge of the road before you get to the bridge. Thats the one i told you i cut a piece off of to try,but havent turned it yet. I was going by the other day and saw where someone took a chainsaw to it and most of the branches and trunk were gone. You didnt get busy on vacation and increase your wood stash did you.[;)]

martyb

I've got a bunch of magnolia blanks I got in one of those "box of 100 blanks" off ebay. Its not spalted like this, but its still a nice looking wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom