Guess This Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

Anyone want to venture a guess on this kind of wood? The three pieces came out of one small crotch that didn't look like it would produce anything.
W.Y.
69793761.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

WOW!
Bill I couldn't even begin to guess!
A wooden bowling ball blank?

tipusnr

If it wasn't for the pen swirls, and the fact you stated that it came from a tree, I would have sworn it was a laminate of some sort. Nice wood and beautiful turnings.

William Young

The band on the pen is pupleheart but the red streaks amoungst the various swirly shades of brown in the stoppers is the natural color of the wood.
I will let everybody guess until tomorrow to see how many come up with the right wood that it is and then I will post what it is and a picture of it growing. [:)]
Keep guessing away.[:eek:)]
W.Y.

William Young

Chris;
As requested, here is a little bigger view. Even shows a bad sanding mark in the second one. [:I] Luckily I didn't glue it to the base so I can unscrew it and put it back on the lathe and sand and finish a little better.
W.Y.

Stoppers%20Top%201.jpg

Stoppers%20Top%203.jpg

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ahhh! I think I've got it. The curl of the pen had me wondering, but this looks like a gorgeous piece of Big Leaf Maple (acer macrophyllum). And from southwest British Columbia. A clever hint, William? [8D]

Whiplash

I agree with Chris, it's Sumac. Staghorn Sumac. If not I would say it's Roadkill or Foundwood. Great job Bill. If you find some more of this wood I hope you'll share.

William Young

And the winners are ...... (drum roll) ... ... Chris and Whiplash.
I just took a picture yesterday of the staghorn sumacs that I see when looking out my kitchen window. They are a nice color this time of year. They are on a steep bank that drops down about 15' below lawn level and it is several hundred feet long. They are there as a privacy hedge as well as a ground cover. I keep the tops clipped so it doesn't obscure my view of the valley. Those are just young ones about 4 years old and they grow and multiply like bad weeds. The roots spread and there are shoots forever popping up in my lawn.

Second picture is of one of my closest neighbors staghorn sumac and that is a mature one and about as big as they get around these parts.
The pictures were taken on a dark cloudy day.
W.Y.
69810592.jpg

69809628.jpg

pen-turners

Just a lucky guess. Only reason I guessed sumac is because my mother has a pair of candlesticks made by my grandfather. They almost look laminated and have an irridescent sheen to them much like your bottle stoppers. Awesome wood. I'm glad my dad is not a wood turner or he would be out chopping down the 20 or so acres of this stuff we have in Wisconsin. I guess I should have him save the windfalls instead of burning them in the spring.......

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom