guardian pen at penn state,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

im interested in getting the guardian jr pen kit at penn state,,if you go to their web site and click on the instructions it gives you the bushings you will need plus the dimensions of the bushings,,i have a friend that is a machinist and he makes all my bushings,,in the diagram the bushing part that fits inside of the brass tube is .028,,the tube is a 3/8,,the inside of the tube is about .345,,,,a lot of slop here,,can anyone help me or has put these pens together before,,thank you,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

When I machine bushings I have the bushing in hand and use it as a go-no-go gauge. I use the actual bushing to test as I am turning to get an exact fit. I only use the instruction's dimensions as a rough guide.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
It's easy to get confused on drill sizes for all these kits - I've drilled several blanks the wrong size before I opened the kit & got the tube out. That's one reason I wrote the app. :)

qquake

Don't forget, the size of the bushing will be smaller than 8mm. 8mm is the OD of the tube. According to the instructions the part of the bushing that goes into the tube is .288". If you want to be sure, wait until you get a kit and measure the ID of the tube.

plantman

Jeff; Since you are having a friend machine your bushings, have him make you a set of tapered bushings. Now every kit will have a perfect fit with just one set of bushings. Have him make you a double sided tapered center bushing. Now you can turn a 1 tube, 2 tube, or kits that have different sized tubes in them at the same time. Use your calipers to measure both tubes and fittings, never rely on the written word !! I always measure the tube and than look for a drill size that comes closest to that by holding it to the tube itself. If you have the 116 piece drill index, you may be able to obtain a much better fit than the recommended drill size. I have put these pens together and am very pleased with the results. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom