Grrr Ripper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodlloyd

Wanting and waiting

I've been desiring this for a while now, but I've seen so many different combinations. Those that are a set of two, include a DVD or something like that. I want to see it in person. I've only seen them on websites like eBay Amazon. What did you buy one, a set of two,... Any accessories? I'm excited once again about buying it and creating some segmented pen blanks.

woodlloyd

I made one out of a sheet rock sander and scrap wood. Looks like hell and barely does the job, Just might have to invest in the real thing. I like!

I just might make something like that for myself.

I'm experimenting with segmenting with metal (starting with aluminum). I would like to do more than just put a couple of strips at varying angles, but not too busy either.

This little tool has really got me excited again about segmenting without the danger of losing a finger. The imagination is my only limit.

I'm just afraid of buying a tool that may have limitations I may not be considering because of my excitement about it's potential. And I don't want to waste money.

Last edited:

zig613

I have been using one for the past three years and still have all my fingers. A nice Xmas gift from my better half. I would highly recommend getting one if you are planning to cut small material on your table saw.

Wade

Fred

From 1/8' thin out to it's maximum width you will keep your fingers quite safe. It even holds the wood against the fence and really aids in preventing kickback.

I believe that this is an excellent safety device and I do not turn my saw on unless I know where it is and I ALWAYS use it if I am cutting short stock against the fence and face a possible 'pinch!' (Which is always there)

Great addition to anyone's shop and the cost is way less than the loss of a finger, etc. :eek:

dwasson

My husband isn't into turning, but he loves to make pen blanks for me. I bought him this for his birthday and it is probably the best safety investment I have ever made.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10477&filter=grrripper

It keeps his hands safely away from the blade when cutting 3/4" square pen blanks.

Sharon

+1 I gave one to my Dad a few years back. When I use his table saw I feel much more comfortable. And we both still have all our fingers.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I am going to have to get one for my dad. He uses my saw and scares the hell out of me when he does. He has rheumatoid arthritis bad and he cant hardly hold on to things. There are a couple of divots in the wall from kickbacks while he was cutting.

jskeen

ok, not being sarcastic here (for a change) but I must be missing something. What does this widgit do for $60 that you couldn't do with a fairly simple homemade version simply cut from a block of nice stable hardwood with a handle on top and some nonslip stuff on the bottom. I know that the center section is adjustable, so you can theoretically use it for lots of different widths, but really, how many times do those of you that have one use a size other than either the minimum thickness, or 3/4 to 1 inch. The slider on the far side would be useful to keep the jig from tipping, and giving you a place to push the work against the fence, and still have something between you and the blade, but again, a couple of slots and wingnuts and it's easily reproduced.

Keep in mind folks, this it the guy who posted the pics of my left hand minus the tip of the index finger about a month ago, so I'm seriously in the market for something that works, but I'm not seeing $60 worth of flexibility in that moveable center section. So somebody let me in on what I'm missing here.

Thanks
James

Last edited:

rjwolfe3

zig613

James...

I think you may have answered your own question...

"Keep in mind folks, this it the guy who posted the pics of my left hand minus the tip of the index finger about a month ago, so I'm seriously in the market for something that works, but I'm not seeing $60 worth of flexibility in that moveable center section. So somebody let me in on what I'm missing here."

I have one and trust me it works... and for only $60 bucks I bet it is cheaper then your medical bills.

Wade

Fred

" ... So somebody let me in on what I'm missing here."

Well, as already stated you are missing the tip of your finger. Not being a smart as_, but YES a piece of wood works just as well. I have also found that I am more prone to using my Gripper instead since it givesme much more support and keeps all my hand parts away from the blade as I pust on through. I can also see where the cut is being made.

As for the product on the bandsaw, now that is $70 I'll keep in my pocket. That device is only good for the width of it's throw which appears to be rather limited considering many would be cuttiny much longer pieces at times. And again, a piece of scrap wood would do the same thing.

Padre

The 'deluxe' system is actually on sale at The Big Tool Store (I think it's a Rockler Outlet) for $59.99. At Wood Craft it's 79.99. Rockler has the base system for $59.99.

redfishsc

What does this widgit do for $60 that you couldn't do with a fairly simple homemade version simply cut from a block of nice stable hardwood with a handle on top and some nonslip stuff on the bottom

You're 100% right.

I have a homemade jig that I use for such things that is designed specifically to fit the fence of a Powermatic 66 tablesaw (or Biesemeyer fence).

Different design than the pic, but similar effect (hands totally away from the blade).

Now to answer your question--- what does it do better than a homemade jig? Show up already made with little time and effort :D.

I love making my own jigs, but for anyone who does production woodworking (even in a garage with a small tablesaw) will know that the time spent designing and building this jig translates into spent labor cost.

If I were running a production shop (and hadn't already made a similar jig) I'd buy this puppy. In fact I would have never made the homemade jig if I had my own company credit card :D at the place I work at.

jskeen

What does this widgit do for $60 that you couldn't do with a fairly simple homemade version simply cut from a block of nice stable hardwood with a handle on top and some nonslip stuff on the bottom

You're 100% right.

Now to answer your question--- what does it do better than a homemade jig? Show up already made with little time and effort :D.

I agree with that for sure. For a production woodworker who is doing this to make money, $60 is nothing compared to the time spent making one yourself. For somebody like me who is literally waiting to sell a pen to buy a few more kits, $60 is a fairly big deal. Time, I have on hand occasionally (if the wife don't find out). What I don't have anymore, in interest in trying to push a 3/4 x 3/4 blank through the tablesaw with my fingers! So taking from the responses here that this is a good design that does the job well, I think I'll take it upon myself to see if I can reproduce that functionality in house.

If it looks decent I may post the pics :)

PaulDoug

I've had one and used it many years. Yes you can make something cheaper, so go do it. This is a great product and a homemade one would be good also. This is a good safety devise, well made. I recommend it, or your homemade one.

burgerman

You did good. Excellent safety device. I own two of them, and they are all I ever use as a push stick with my table saw. I even use them with my jointer, because the rubber on them is so "grippy." At first, it's a little daunting running your hand directly over the blade, but you get used to it. Make sure to always bend down to table level to make sure your saw blade is set to below the top of the Grrripper.

jskeen

Make sure to always bend down to table level to make sure your saw blade is set to below the top of the Grrripper.

I think that is what is bothering me about this. I guess using your head is the best safty device.

There you go. That's the thing about gadgets, they are never truly idiotproof, because us idiots are so darned inventive.

woodlloyd

I got it! I got it!
Got home today to a package on my front porch with my grr ripper, actually grr ripperssssss I got a deal on eBay for a set of two.

I can't wait to test some segmenting ideas I have in mind.

Any suggestions?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The 'deluxe' system is actually on sale at The Big Tool Store (I think it's a Rockler Outlet) for $59.99. At Wood Craft it's 79.99. Rockler has the base system for $59.99.

The Big Tool Store also has them on Ebay with free shipping. THey have them in a couple of different configurations.

woodlloyd

The Big Tool Store also has them on Ebay with free shipping. THey have them in a couple of different configurations.

Yes! That's exactly where I got it from. It took a while to assemble them but I'm excited to have them and look forward to put them to work in the coming week.

Top Bottom