Gross problem....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I turned a The Graduate today and I am at a loss. Everything seemed fine with a nice redwood blank until I went to assemble the pen....I then found that (a) the lower tube was off center in the hole and (b) the epoxy had not completely set up although it was done 4 days ago. I think my epoxy must have gone bad from sitting too long although it didn't seem to be all that long ago that I opened the tubes. It didn't come out so bad that I can't use it myself but I can't give it away or sell it.

TonyL

You know what I started doing? After I have used epoxy to secure my tubes and barrels, I leave a dime-shaped wide and nickel-high dab of epoxy on whatever disposable surface I used to mix the epoxy (especially since experimenting with Hobby Lobby - 2 hour Full Cure epoxy). Even though the "control" dab is thicker and exposed to more air than the stuff in the barrel, it serves a a decent test. I "assume" if the control dab is cured, what is in the barrel is cured. I may be wrong, but I haven't messed-up since practicing this. I was really skittish on the HL epoxy claim - that's when I started doing the same for the Stick Fast 12 hour and Guerrilla Glue 24 hour, etc. FWIW :)

Top Bottom