Griz press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Woodspinner, I thought I'd pick one up for $14 but when I tried to order it there's no place for Province & the form won't accept Cdn postal codes. I emailed Grizzly .... seems they have a "non competition" agreement with a Canadian company (they didn't say which one) and therefore can't ship anything to Canada. So unless you have a US shipping address forget it[:(]

G

This has gone around on the CAnadian Woodworking magazine site a few times.
Though you cannot find anyway to prove it other than the fact the CEO's have the same last name it is rumored that the head of Griz
and one of the off shore tool companies in Canada are brothers.
I don't know if its' Busy bee or one of the others.
The names are the same don't quote me on the company though.

woodspinner

Geo
I understand it weights abot 40 Lbs shipping so re shipping it to you would not be feasable due to cost. Sorry, I would have been happy to do it for you.

Good turning and be safe
Bill

Scott

Hi Geo,

Not that this helps with the frustration, but Busy Bee is the Canadian counterpart to Grizzly. It's worth a try to see if they have it. Let us know!

Scott.

G

Shipping weoght stated was 24 lbs. actual weoght posted was 17.
Heck of a unit for the money

Eaglesc - interesting about the CEO thing. I thought it kind of funny they didn't mention who the non-competition agreement was with!

woodspinner - thanks for the offer. I wasn't aware the weight was that much so shipping from US to Ca probably would have put the cost way over the top. Too bad .. it looked like a very well made press.

Scott - I checked Busy Bee's web site as well as their printed cat. and couldn't find anything resembling a press which I find kind of surprising since they do sell machinery.
I guess I'll just keep looking.
Play safe, George

G

Whatwoodido-
this one:
http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/G/G9838.jpg

Scottydont

I bought one last month and is great to use for pens. It will require fabricating a base plate and something to instert in the ram (a bolt would be fine.) Another poster here made a base plate jig with a stepped confirguration so it can be used on different length applications without having to adjust the press. Very clever.

G

Originally posted by scott m
<br />I bought one last month and is great to use for pens. It will require fabricating a base plate and something to instert in the ram (a bolt would be fine.) Another poster here made a base plate jig with a stepped confirguration so it can be used on different length applications without having to adjust the press. Very clever.

That was I
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1123

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />
Originally posted by scott m
<br />I bought one last month and is great to use for pens. It will require fabricating a base plate and something to instert in the ram (a bolt would be fine.) Another poster here made a base plate jig with a stepped confirguration so it can be used on different length applications without having to adjust the press. Very clever.

That was I
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1123

And a fine idea it is. mind if I <s>steal</s> er, borrow your idea?

G

I used to used a 12" K-body.
The craking got old and tough on the hands,not to mention a couple of "slips".
The K-body was originally purchased to be used as a tooling fixture to hold the rails ont the router shaper for arched top cabinet doors.
I still have all 8+2.
Believe me the Grizz press beats the K-body hands down.
As a bounus I can tke the "ram" out and use it to dissassemble pens also.(when necessary)

navrep

I'm new to the craft, but with all of the positive comments and the current price (relative to the original price), I felt I had better order one of these presses. I did just that a few minutes ago. Thanks.

Mike

jwoodwright

EAGLESC, I "borrowed" your design as well...[:D]
I added a Corian Base Plate, a Bolt embedded in Corian for the Ram and a Small Corian Step Block. I'll probally make another Step Block... I thought about one to hold the nib (v-shaped hole)... just a idea...[8D]

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200492745549_Penpressv2.jpg
<br /> 74.99&nbsp;KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom