Gripping mandrel with beall collets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnkepka

I recently purchased a beall collet chuck set. I also purchased new mandrels for the chuck. The mandrels are quite short. After placing the bushings and blank onto the mandrel only 1/2 to 1/4 inch of mandrel is available for chucking. I prefer to turn both pen pieces at one time. My question is what is the minimum amount of space for chucking the mandrel? After a couple of years the mandrel and bushing sloppiness is really aggravating. Each time I feel I solve one problem another one replaces it.
Thanks

its_virgil

The mandrel needs to be gripped with the entire length of the collet. Mandrels can be made using drill rod (size= Letter D), tap one end and use a 60 degree center drill to drill the end for the live center. This way, you can make them the length you need. I make them long and adjust the length by pushing inside the collet.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

<br />I recently purchased a beall collet chuck set. I also purchased new mandrels for the chuck. The mandrels are quite short. After placing the bushings and blank onto the mandrel only 1/2 to 1/4 inch of mandrel is available for chucking. I prefer to turn both pen pieces at one time. My question is what is the minimum amount of space for chucking the mandrel? After a couple of years the mandrel and bushing sloppiness is really aggravating. Each time I feel I solve one problem another one replaces it.
Thanks
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom