Which Grinding Wheel Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffScott

I am setting up a grinding station this weekend.
I want to repace the wheels that came with my grinder with some good wheels.
I searched on Grinding wheels but did not find anything on Grits.

Which grits should I get??

54 Grit
80 Grit
120 Grit

I am thinking 80 and 120.

What does everyone else use?

Thanks.

Jeff-

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I use the 80 and 120... I especially like the 120 for my skews... it gives a smoother finish in the sharpening...

Scott

Hi Jeff,

I agree with the other guys. I use the 80 grit wheel most of the time. The 54 grit wheel would be useful if you were planning on doing some reshaping of tools or profiles, but how often do we do that?

I encourage you to get good, white, aluminum oxide wheels. The white wheels are finer and more friable, which will leave a better finish on your tools. And make sure you have a good dresser so you can keep your wheels in good shape.

If your grinding station is mainly for sharpening turning tools, set it up close to the lathe, so it is right there and handy when you want to sharpen. Otherwise you'll start finding excuses to go longer between sharpenings, which is bad. The rule on sharpening is if you even wonder if it might be time to start thinking about sharpening - then it is time to sharpen!

Scott.

Rifleman1776

We have a professional master woodturner in our club. I went to his house one day and posed just that question. He showed me his 60 grit wheel and said it was too coarse. He had to replace ground down tools frequently. He also had a 100 grit he seldom used because it just seemed to polish and not do anything significant. His reccomendation was an 80 grit blue wheel at 1750 rpm. I bought one from one of the catalog places and it does just fine. I sharpen freehand. The tools do not overheat, I have never had blue on the tips. I also have a slow, wet white wheel that almost never gets used. It will turn and turn and just not do anything noticable. That is my reccomendation. For knives and carving tools I use the Razor Sharp system of two cardboard wheels. But, for some reason, it won't touch the turning tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom