Grinder Speed Confusion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K.
I was ready to get the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, then in the instructions that came with the Oneway Wolverine Jig, they state, with explanations, that a 8", 3450 rpm grinder is best. Below is a scan of their statement.
Now, I'm confused, but leaning toward following their suggestion.
I'd appreciate comments on this.
Thanks,
ken

Image Insert:
2004123012404_oneway_tip.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Ken,

Grinder speed in my opinion is less important than wheel selection. You should have an aluminum oxide wheel instead of the "grey wheel" that comes with most cheap grinders. I personally have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and I can determine no difference in edge quality from the variable speed Delta that my club uses. It takes me a few seconds longer but I'm not out to break any speed records.

This is my opinion and I'll stick to it.

P.S. I now use a Tormek for most of my sharpening.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have been using the Woodcraft slow speed grinder since I started turning and use the wolverine jig with it... I have had no problems at all with my sharpening... and the slow speed definately keeps me from burning my tools if I get a little agressive

Fred in NC

I have a 3400 RPM 6" cheap grinder, with a Woodcraft white wheel, and the Wolverine. Works very well.

Looks like there is a little tradition involved in grinder recommendations. Years ago most turning tools were made from carbon steel, which lose the temper if overheated. To prevent the overheating, slower speeds were used, and a water container was used to cool the tool before it got too hot.

Today's HSS tools can take more heat, so higher speed grinders are ok. Most HSS tools are made from thicker material too, so they don't get hot as fast. You don't want to dip them in water while hot, because it can cause small fractures in the edge, which then will not last very long.

wayneis

I think that it's just a matter of preference. I've seen testimonies from people who prefer fast and people who prefer slow and both were happy. The faster speed grinder you have you just need to be a little more careful so you don't grind your tool away. Personally, I have the Wolverine and 8" Delta VS and run it at about half speed but I don't use it often because I have another grinder set up with the honing system from Grizzly and thats what I use the most. I only use the grinder to get the bevel or shape that I want and then use the honing wheel which puts a syrgical like edge on it. I really credit the honing wheel to the success and ease of turning acrylics and some of those woods that are usually a little tricky to turn. The sharper you can get your tool, the easier it is to turn anything. My fifteen cents worth.

Wayne

Brent

I agree with Mudder. The most important thing is the wheel, I prefer the lower speed myself. Its seems that I tend to take away to much of the tool with the high speed

J. Fred Muggs

I've got the Woodcraft 2 speed grinder (only because they were out of the slow speed when I went to get it on sale and they sold me this one for the same sale price). I've tried both speeds and I prefer the slower speed. I agree with Mudder and Brent, the wheel is more important than the speed. The white wheels actually wear away faster, but, in so doing, keep a fresher cutting surface on the tool, sharpening quicker and with less heat. Whatever grinder you end up with be sure to use the white wheels.

Thanks for all the comments. I picked up a slow speed from Woodcraft yesterday morning. Brought it home and the darn thing ran backwards.
Another 80 mile round trip drive to WC. Second one is fine except for the wheels being way out of round. That's no problem to correct.
ken

G

I have 3 grinders wet-dry,dry and a $20.00(Delta thought they could sell it for $40.00)sharpening station.
Sharpening method of choice?
Diamond stone kept right by the lathe.
BTW many turners use a belt sander.( also use it)

Big Mike

Oneway sells its "special" grinding wheels in two configurations, wheels that are designed to operate at 3450 and wheels that are designed to operate at 1725. I don't know why but obviously there is a reason. Probably to sell more grinding wheels...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom