Greening up Lignum Vitae

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

I have a pen I am making out of vignum vitae that I had planned on greening prior to finishing. I have had it in the sun for a couple days now, not all day but a healthy dose, but no greening at all. Any suggestions?

This blank had a knot in it which I know is a lot harder than the surrounding wood. Would that be a reason for the wood not oxidizing?

Ideas? Suggestions? Take it to a tanning salon? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 225
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Krash

A day or two in a sunny place should have shown some greening, I think.

Do you think there is a reason that it might not be greening? Or do I just need to be patient?

It's out on my dashboard right now trying to get its lignum tan on. I guess if it doesn't turn, it still is a nice piece of wood although it more resembles koa if it stays brown.

mmyshrall

Do you think there is a reason that it might not be greening? Or do I just need to be patient?

It's out on my dashboard right now trying to get its lignum tan on. I guess if it doesn't turn, it still is a nice piece of wood although it more resembles koa if it stays brown.

Kelly,

If the color change process depends on UV, your dashboard is probably the wrong place as the windshield will block a significant portion of the UV in the sunlight.

Michael

Krash

Kelly,

If the color change process depends on UV, your dashboard is probably the wrong place as the windshield will block a significant portion of the UV in the sunlight.

Michael

Good thought Michael.

How about this? :biggrin:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pen Tanning.jpg
    Pen Tanning.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 522

tomas

Kelly,

Are your sure it is Lignum Vitae? The grain pattern does not look like it to me. Was the blank green before you turned it? I have turned quite a bit of Lignum Vitae and the blanks were always green to start with and brown after turning. I go ahead and finish them with CA and they start to turn green after a day or so just sitting on the workbench.

Tomas

Krash

Kelly,

Are your sure it is Lignum Vitae? The grain pattern does not look like it to me. Was the blank green before you turned it? I have turned quite a bit of Lignum Vitae and the blanks were always green to start with and brown after turning. I go ahead and finish them with CA and they start to turn green after a day or so just sitting on the workbench.

Tomas

As sure as I can be when it was marked that way at the wood store. The turning dust and saw dust was very oily and the wood was hard. I bought another blank out of the same pile that exhibited a more standard grain pattern and has some green cast to it. This one just intrigued me since it had a knot in it. I worried that the knot would make an already hard wood nearly impossible to turn but it looked too good to pass up. It resembles koa but the hardness and sawdust give it away as not koa.

BTW, I just went out to check on it on my dashboard mainly to make sure I wasn't frying it. I can feel little ridges where the brass segments are flexing because of the heat and it probably loosening the CA. I think I will just reglue it and finish it. If it wants to turn green later, fine.

Krash

Kelly,

Tomas

Also, the wood has a distinct cinnamon or allspice type smell which I think indicates lignum.

avbill

then you talk about 'Lignum Vitae' you have to understand several things

first then it was harvested. was it old forest or second or third crop wood.

old harvest will slowly change color. 3 - 6 months time frame not hours people. i have some Lignum Vitae that was harvested in the 1920's. and the coloration and grain patterns are very different than todays havest your buying at the market place.

CrimsonKeel

Kelly,

Tomas

Also, the wood has a distinct cinnamon or allspice type smell which I think indicates lignum.

Love the smell of lignum

Top Bottom