Green Mesquite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

el_d

Hi folks,
I was wondering if anyone has ever turned Green mesquite?
Can you cut a branch and turn it the same day?? Or how soon can you turn fresh cut mesquite??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

You can turn it as soon as you get to the shop. I've got a friend who turns mesquite candlestick holders and sells tons of them in craft shows and starts turning as soon as he gets home. Wet shavings all over the place.

I made two closed end pens last month from green mesquite, the 2" logs had been in my shop just lying in a pile for about a month. They turned out really nice and have gotten several compliments on their CA finishes.

George

Dario

Though mesquite is known to be one of the most stable wood...I still won't make a pen out of green wood of it (or any other wood).

FYI, it's stability is due to its uniform shrinkage on both axis...but it still shrink! What do you suppose will happen if it shrink and the tube doesn't? It will CRACK.

If you are turning other stuff...then it will work. Then agian others woods are also turned green especially for bowls, vase and other vessels. Most are rough turned and not finished right away though.

el_d

I have turned larger diameter mesquite right off the tree some has cracked and warped and some other stuff is fine? I have heard that mesquite is very stable but how long should I wait after the branch is in the shop. I havent ever done the " micro-drying" before, can you explain Dario
Thanks,
Lupe d

Dario

Mesquite is stable BUT most have stress cracks due to weight to begin with. Most are not visibile right away but some are obvious. As with any wood, I still remove the pith if at all possible. The old formula of 1 year drying per inch thickness still applies, that is why most turners rough turn to thickness of about 10% of the diameter (1" thick for 10" diameter bowl) no matter what green wood they use.

There are several write ups about microwave drying on the web. Here is a few I got through a quick google search...
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rhaslip/Rex/workshop/microwave/microwav.htm
http://www3.sympatico.ca/3jdw8/microwavedrying.htm
http://mgorrow.tripod.com/microwave.html
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Drying_small_pieces_in_microwave.html

Good luck!!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
With all due respect, I will have to disagree with Dario on this one! I have worked with mesquite since I started woodworking 10 years or so ago. Mesquite is my passion and I have a LOT of experience with it. I have made MANY pens with mesquite straight from the tree and have not had one singe one crack. I have also made lidded boxes with green mesquite that was so green it was throwing water on me while turning. On one I made a nice tight fitting lid and took it with me in my truck to show it to someone. I forgot it in the truck in the middle of the summer and the lid still fits nice and tight to this day, 1 year later.

So, do what you wish but from my experience, it works just fine. You mileage my vary!!

raltenhofen

As with most questions of this nature, the answer is: It depends.

Arizona has a lot of mesquite, both native and non-native varieties. My observation is that the native varieties yield very stable wood, although it is typical for it have cracks. However, the non-native varieties, mostly Chilean in origin, is distinctly different. The color of the wood is grayer and it tends to have a higher moisture content, probably because they are grown for landscape purposes on a dependable water source.

Hope this helps.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Lupe, I am not far from you in San Marcos. If you come this way anytime soo, be sure to let me know and come by for a shop visit! I always enjoy visitors, especialy on the weekends!

el_d

Wow, 17 miles away. I would love to go by and talk shop. I will be heading to SA this weekend, but let me know when would be a good time for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom