A GREAT price on SuperNova2 and G3 chucks w/4 jaws at CSUSA: great for lathe-drilling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

This is just to let those who don't get CSUSA's emailed specials that they have a GREAT price/deal on their G3 and SuperNova2 chucks.

I have owned/used a SN2 chuck and they are GREAT chucks and, with this price, well worth it.

If you buy either chuck, they'll give you a 4-jaw set for FREE, one of them being the long-nosed jaws that many of us use when drilling on the lathe.

I do not even own a drill press and don't need one, drilling w/ the jaw chuck and longnose jaws has proven to be my preferred way.

Well anyhow, when you order them use coupon code NOVA1.

I'll see if their image shows up right.

nova_2.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Matt, I too got this and am glad because I am currently shopping for a larger chuck since I am finally going to start turning larger things than pens. Last year I bought a Jet 1642EVS in anticipation of turning larger things but never got around to it yet.

A friend, whom I will be swapping CA finish expertise with bowl turning expertise tomorrow, recommends for turning bowls on my larger Jet lathe, that I get a larger chuck than the Nova G3 which I currently have. He is recommending the One-Way Strong hold chuck.

I will probably never mount half a tree like Gary Max so probably won't have a need for the most robust chuck available. This is why I am considering the Super Nova2 chuck as a step up in capacity to my existing Nova G3 chuck.

You said you use the Super Nova2, can you give me it's diameter? And have you used the smaller Nova G3 chuck at all or enough to form an opinion as to which chuck would be better for medium/large size work (bowls from 8" to 14" in diameter).

The Super Nova2 with its jaws looks like it might meet my needs just fine.

Anyone else have any thoughts, the One-Way Strong hold versus the Super Nova2 or the Nova G3 versus the Super Nova2? I'm just trying to keep from buying yet a larger chuck this time next year!

marcruby

I have G3's, SN2's, and a Stronghold. Truth is that A G3 will really do a lot of hard work. You just have to be careful in setting it up with the wood. The SN2 is somewhat beefier, but it uses the same jaws as the G3 and is pretty comparable in strength.

The Stronghold is another animal entirely and is my current favorite. I use the #2 and #3 profiled tower jaws. Set up correctly it can handle almost anything. Other chucks you might want to consider are the big Vicmarc's. I've used them on a friend's lathe and they are beautifully engineered and smooth working.

Marc

Matt, I too got this and am glad because I am currently shopping for a larger chuck since I am finally going to start turning larger things than pens. Last year I bought a Jet 1642EVS in anticipation of turning larger things but never got around to it yet.

Last edited:

Gary Max

I wore two SN2's out in one year---of course that was on my big lathe.
I moved up to a Titan with 5 inch jaws---dang thing cost a arm and a leg but after two years it shows no sign of wear.
I still have a SN2 that runs on a 14 inch lathe and it does a good job but never sees wood over 10 lbs.
Bottom line here is matching the right tool for the job.
Hope this helps.

marcruby

it does a good job but never sees wood over 10 lbs. Bottom line here is matching the right tool for the job.

You're no doubt right, Your big pieces (one of which I'm going to have to buy some day) probably weigh more finished than most of mine do rough. I bought the stronghold to deal with a really mean piece of black makki burl and it's impressed me with it's ability so far. My SN2's are about 4 years old and are holding up fine, but as you say, they only see wood over 10lbs with the help of the tailstock.

Marc

GaryMadore

Great - I just bought a SN2 :(

It looks to me that they're offering all 4 jaw sets with a purchase, and not just 1 set of 4 jaws...

If so, They've been paying attention and are taking aim at the Barracuda deal offered by PSI. Good on 'em. If GM, et.al. had been paying this kind of attention to the marketplace instead of continuing to crank out $90,000 Cadillac pickups, they wouldn't be up shite creek right now....

Cheers!

Gary

redfishsc

Tex,

Sorry man, but I don't have the SN2 anymore. When I lived in Charleston, me and another woodturner in the same cabinet shop "shared" the chuck, and when I moved, I let him keep it.

I now use a Barracuda from Penn State. It's beefy enough for all I'll ever do on a 10" midi lathe.

redfishsc

Great - I just bought a SN2 :(

It looks to me that they're offering all 4 jaw sets with a purchase, and not just 1 set of 4 jaws...

Been there, done that. I bought my Sheppach wet grinder (8") for about the same price as the Grizzly 10" (EXACT SAME MACHINE different paint). A week after I recieved the Sheppach in the mail, I get the Grizz catalog. For the same price I coulda got the bigger model :at-wits-end:

If so, They've been paying attention and are taking aim at the Barracuda deal offered by PSI. Good on 'em. If GM, et.al. had been paying this kind of attention to the marketplace instead of continuing to crank out $90,000 Cadillac pickups, they wouldn't be up shite creek right now....

Cheers!

Gary

Well theres that.... and if GM would have paid attention to the fact that Toyota was taking them to the woodshed BECAUSE Toyota built a far more reliable, long lasting vehicle and EVERYONE knows it... they would have done better.

I own a 2000 Cavalier that has, since it was 4 years old, had a dashboard that has crumbled and dry rotted, and a whole littany of mechanical problems that just don't happen on Toyotas.

Instead, GM just puts more gadgets, widgets, body-clad moulding, and fake chrome plastic pieces that are just going to break, fall off, and make their reputation that much more aweful.

If I want a heavy-duty pickup, I'm buying a Chevy. They got that part right. But that's about it. :frown:

Sorry... off topic....

Verne

George,
If you have no further use for that G3 I know a turner in Houston that may just take it off of your hands.
Vern

Texatdurango

Thanks for all the comments from all the bowl turners. If I'm hearing right, the Super Nova2 will handle my target projects (bowls, platters, vases, etc. around or under 10 lbs) and with the added attachments which according to Tekonsha, will also fit my Nova G3 chuck.

When I start turning tree stumps I'll go to the Titan or Stronghold... right after I buy a bigger lathe. :biggrin:

George,
If you have no further use for that G3 I know a turner in Houston that may just take it off of your hands.
Vern
Don't get me wrong Vern, I use my little G3 all the time, now I'll just keep it at my mini lathe and store the larger one near the larger lathe. (the lathe that I now use solely to run my buffing wheels! :eek:)

GaryMadore

Thanks for all the comments from all the bowl turners. If I'm hearing right, the Super Nova2 will handle my target projects (bowls, platters, vases, etc. around or under 10 lbs) and with the added attachments which according to Tekonsha, will also fit my Nova G3 chuck.

When I start turning tree stumps I'll go to the Titan or Stronghold... right after I buy a bigger lathe. :biggrin:

That's the easiest way to look at it: The SN2 will handle ANYTHING that you can turn on a "normal" lathe, and you will not need anything bigger/beefier until you're turning on something with 18" swing or more.

I have a lathe dedicated to outboard turning (well, it's inboard, really, as it's a lathe head with the ways removed and turned sideways, but you know what I mean...) and don't see a need (yet?) for a bigger chuck because any tree stumps I turn are mounted to faceplates and not a chuck.

Cheers!

Gary

Texatdurango

Craft Supply just fell of my list of favorite suppliers! :frown: I called when I saw Marks post and yep, the "while supplies last" offer is over but they will take your order for the chucks and/or jaw sets which are all on back order anyway... for the regular price!

Well they will never make my list.Oh well,they won't miss much biz from me anyways,but many of you spend a lot of money(not good business).I only got the email late last night so I guess I had maybe 12-16 hours to get it ordered,funny.Victor(a little sad)

Art Fuldodger

I actually saw it last night before I got the email from them... and was very tempted, but decided not to.

They still have the 4-jaw sets alone on sale for $90. Not as good of a deal, but still, that's half-price.

redfishsc

Hey, Texatdurango, don't be bashful about trying the big Barracuda 4 from PSI.

I only have the Barracuda one, and it's a small lever action, and I'm pretty sure I could turn a 3-4" thick bowl, 9-10" diameter on it. Pre-rounded, of course.

J

jackrichington

Boy, was I surprised on this CSU chuck deal..I saw the email in morning and called to order within the hour..all gone...WHAT? did they ever have any? Was it to see what response they would get? sumthin' is fishy...

Texatdurango

I'll look into that. This morning I meet with one of the area gurus on bowl turning and see what he thinks as well, he's probably got one of everything.

Hey, Texatdurango, don't be bashful about trying the big Barracuda 4 from PSI.

I only have the Barracuda one, and it's a small lever action, and I'm pretty sure I could turn a 3-4" thick bowl, 9-10" diameter on it. Pre-rounded, of course.

Texatdurango

Boy, was I surprised on this CSU chuck deal..I saw the email in morning and called to order within the hour..all gone...WHAT? did they ever have any? Was it to see what response they would get? sumthin' is fishy...
Jack, I got an email from one of their folks and he said they got a good deal on a particular lot of these things and just passed on the savings and didin't anticipate such a rush on them. That's why we can't get the savings if we order from their catalog using "normal" stock.

One would think they could extend us poor ole IAP folks an "olive brance" in the way of a small discount for anyone ordering the chucks/jaws within the next week or two. That would go a long way to keeping good customers happy customers and making up for them getting everyone excited then upset! :)

pianomanpj

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I was going to order this morning when I found out they sold out. I sent them an e-mail asking if they were going to have a waiting list or offer the sale again. Below is the response I got:

Roger

Unfortunately we do not have a waiting list. The promotion sold out a lot faster than we had expected. We will not have the sale available in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards

-- Danny Lange
Customer Service Manager
Craft Supplies USA
(801) 373-0917

Although I am really disappointed, I'd still be all over an kind of decent offer they would like to extend to us good folk here at the IAP.

wizical

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I was going to order this morning when I found out they sold out. I sent them an e-mail asking if they were going to have a waiting list or offer the sale again. Below is the response I got:

Roger

Unfortunately we do not have a waiting list. The promotion sold out a lot faster than we had expected. We will not have the sale available in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards

-- Danny Lange
Customer Service Manager
Craft Supplies USA
(801) 373-0917

Although I am really disappointed, I'd still be all over an kind of decent offer they would like to extend to us good folk here at the IAP.

im playing devils advocate on this one, it sucks, that i should have bought one when i had a chance, but i passed, but im not disappointed that they dont have a waiting list for this particular product. It just sounds like from the posts that you are looking for a handout from them by asking CSUSA to extend the sale.

It was nice of CSUSA to put this item on sale, I talked to them about this too; they didnt expect the response they got for doing it, it was overwhelming. they ran out quickly and I didnt expect them to extend something that was "limited Supplies only." They are trying to move inventory and they did quite nicely. They could have easily lost money by doing this, but i think they did it to move other inventory too.

Instead of asking for more, just be grateful that they are offering discounts on items, they dont have to

Texatdurango

im playing devils advocate on this one, it sucks, that i should have bought one when i had a chance, but i passed, but im not disappointed that they dont have a waiting list for this particular product. It just sounds like from the posts that you are looking for a handout from them by asking CSUSA to extend the sale.

It was nice of CSUSA to put this item on sale, I talked to them about this too; they didnt expect the response they got for doing it, it was overwhelming. they ran out quickly and I didnt expect them to extend something that was "limited Supplies only." They are trying to move inventory and they did quite nicely. They could have easily lost money by doing this, but i think they did it to move other inventory too.

Instead of asking for more, just be grateful that they are offering discounts on items, they dont have to
I don't think its so much looking for a handout as just asking. Nothing wrong with a little begging :biggrin:, who knows, it might shake something loose, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Craft Supply puts on sales all the time, hands out discount coupons at trade shows, offers discounts now and then off total orders, last year they offered an additional 20% off the entire order and that was nice... if memory serves I spent a few thousand dollars on that sale and that wasn't a group buy!

After all of the above specials over the years they are still in business so obviously they aren't going to do something to lose money and I wouldn't expect them to.

Its all in fun.

pianomanpj

Keven,

Yeah, you are being a devil. :angel:

You certainly don't have to be disappointed if you missed the sale, but it is obvious that many more people would have wanted to take part if the quantities were there. I, for one, would have been all over it if they had not run out. I've seen, on more than one occasion, companies extend sales if it was being received extremely well. I wouldn't know if this was the case or not had I not asked.

Since they are no longer offering these chucks on sale, then I don't have any reason why I shouldn't look at any other vendors for these items. I love doing business with CSUSA, but when you come right down to it, it's all about dollars and cents for this high-ticket item. I have no allegiance to any vendor, so I get any regular priced item from whoever has it cheapest.

I'm also not looking for a handout. I'm merely asking if they were going to have any kind of follow-up offer or a repeat of this one. Once again, I won't know unless I ask.

And yes; I AM grateful that they put on this sale. But being grateful isn't getting me a chuck, now is it? :mad-tongue:

Last edited:

Texatdurango

While it's not that great of a deal. Woodcraft has the Supernova2 chuck on sale for $150 now.

I picked one up yesterday as well as the large Cole chuck which I can't wait to use.

I also tried to revisit the Craft Supply site to place an order for the 4 jaw set but that is no longer on their website. Turns out those were the chucks that were given away and I was told they would no longer offer the jaws as a set.

redfishsc

Be sure to get the Barracuda 2. it's got a better "action" than the lever action of the 'Cuda.

I have a Barracuda, and it suites my purposes, but I would have done better with the Barracuda 2.

Top Bottom