A great day at Bad Dog!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Eyeshooter

While browsing the New England chapter pages I found a place called Bad Dog Burls where they had a meeting. I liked the website and ordered 25 blanks but really fell in love with a piece of Amboyna burl that was listed as AM2. The blanks arrived yesterday and looked great. Trouble was I was still thinking about that piece of wood. Long story short, I visited today and was amazed at all of the various types of burls Rob has. Luckily, he had time to help walk me through the shop and helped me pick up some great pieces of rose myrtle, walnut, Tanzanian Eucalyptus, box elder and that beautiful piece of Amboyna burl! I have no idea what I'll make with it yet but it's now acting as inspiration by sitting in the shop. Thanks to all of you on this site that share your information with us. I benefit from reading your posts daily and hope to be able to someday contribute. Meanwhile, today was a really fun day because I'm part of IAP!

John

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

While browsing the New England chapter pages I found a place called Bad Dog Burls where they had a meeting. I liked the website and ordered 25 blanks but really fell in love with a piece of Amboyna burl that was listed as AM2. The blanks arrived yesterday and looked great. Trouble was I was still thinking about that piece of wood. Long story short, I visited today and was amazed at all of the various types of burls Rob has. Luckily, he had time to help walk me through the shop and helped me pick up some great pieces of rose myrtle, walnut, Tanzanian Eucalyptus, box elder and that beautiful piece of Amboyna burl! I have no idea what I'll make with it yet but it's now acting as inspiration by sitting in the shop. Thanks to all of you on this site that share your information with us. I benefit from reading your posts daily and hope to be able to someday contribute. Meanwhile, today was a really fun day because I'm part of IAP!

John

Oh John, you are failing with one of our most important rules, "No pics...!didn't happen...!":frown::beat-up:

After all "we" all like to see nice looking woods, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

greggas

John;

Welcome to the addiction..er...affliction??? I make it up to Rob's a couple times a year ( or get lazy and have him ship it to me) which has resulted in a barn full of wood that I have no idea what i will do with but am strangely happy that I have.

Enjoy and Happy New years

SDB777

All I can add is I'd be completely broke with a place like BadDog Burls that close to me..............

Scott (maybe when I visit my parents in Maine) B

toddlajoie

Yea, that meeting was my first for the local chapter, and not to 'dis the usual meeting place (where I seem to spend some time about every other day in anyway...) but it was an absolutely fantastic place. The sheer volume of stuff he has there, and the fact that it is all top notch, was a real eye opener to me (that such a place existed just off the beaten path so close). I've said it in several other places here and it bears repeating for any of you not in our area, but I tend to stay away from buying wood from places that only post "sample" photos of wood, as what you get is nearly always "less" than the sample. While Bad Dog does post mostly "actual" photos of their stuff, there was not a single piece of wood I saw in his place that I would not have been 110% satisfied if I had purchased it sight unseen. So if you're not in the area and can't stop in, I wouldn't let that stand in your way from ordering from them.

Eyeshooter

I stand properly accused of not including pictures. It will not happen again!
The group shot is most of what I brought home. The back row is 2 pieces of walnut, Tasmanian Rose Myrtle, my new favorite coffee cup :biggrin:, a slab of Big Leaf Maple Burl and, the reason I went to visit, a 6.5"x6.5"x10.5 block of Amboyna. The next row is an Aussie seed pod that only opens after there has been a forest fire. I can't remember the name but will find it if you're interested. It is sitting on a piece of Lace Sheoak. The blanks are Afzelia Burl, Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl and Corugatta.

The 2nd shot is a Box Elder Burl. The rest are just closer shots to see the beauty of this wood.

I really cannot say enough nice things about Rob. He taught me a lot about the wood I purchased, steered me away from some of the pieces which a newbie might have some trouble drying and let me play with the dogs! +1 to the comment that you can trust ordering thru the mail with him. In my opinion, the blanks I received were all 1st class. I really don't mean to be "over the top" but it was a great day!

Sorry the pics were late!

John

Attachments

• Bad Dog haul.jpg
    Bad Dog haul.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 162
  • Box Elder Burl.jpg
    Box Elder Burl.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 124
  • Myrtle:Maple.jpg
    Myrtle:Maple.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Amboyna Burl.jpg
    Amboyna Burl.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

JerrySambrook

John,
If you ever decide to come back down, let us know in advance.
Then we can meet up and make a day of it.
BTW, not far from there, we are having a local chapter meeting on Jauary 30 at the Woodcraft in West Springfield

Jerry

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Don't go there with your wallet or credit card. The Box Elder and Big Leaf Maple burl make me weak in the knees. And my wallet was lighter also. Great place to visit. Nobody leaves without buying something. Even the strong willed as i thought I was. :biggrin:

robutacion

I stand properly accused of not including pictures. It will not happen again!
The group shot is most of what I brought home. The back row is 2 pieces of walnut, Tasmanian Rose Myrtle, my new favorite coffee cup :biggrin:, a slab of Big Leaf Maple Burl and, the reason I went to visit, a 6.5"x6.5"x10.5 block of Amboyna. The next row is an Aussie seed pod that only opens after there has been a forest fire. I can't remember the name but will find it if you're interested. It is sitting on a piece of Lace Sheoak. The blanks are Afzelia Burl, Tasmanian Eucalyptus Burl and Corugatta.

The 2nd shot is a Box Elder Burl. The rest are just closer shots to see the beauty of this wood.

I really cannot say enough nice things about Rob. He taught me a lot about the wood I purchased, steered me away from some of the pieces which a newbie might have some trouble drying and let me play with the dogs! +1 to the comment that you can trust ordering thru the mail with him. In my opinion, the blanks I received were all 1st class. I really don't mean to be "over the top" but it was a great day!

Sorry the pics were late!

John

Thanks for the pic John, most appreciated...!:wink:

That pod name that you can't remember is Banksia, those are the "monsters" of the Banksia pods family...!:biggrin:

An interesting fact that most people don't know is that, most of what Rob has and gets from Australia, is rarely seen here in stores. There are 2 main reasons for that, first the US market pays a lot more money for these products than Australians would ever pay. There are many fellow out there collecting these burls, just for the US market so they never see the Aussie stores, unless in imported back to OZ. This as crazy as it can sound is true...!

Secondly, many of the Aussies can get burls themselves, just by going into public land or private for this matter, looking for any trees that have them and cut them down. Not all of these people have permission to do that, know how to do it or even suppose/allowed to be there, which is called "trespassing" but, the point I'm trying to make is that Aussies never pay much money for anything that they know as come from Australia, regardless if they have access to burls or not, the one way or the other, (local suppliers).

Off-course, there is a big market of burls in Australia and some people pay the prices asked for such product but the volume of burls sold here is in fact a small proportion to what is consumed in the USA and Canada, mainly...!

So, in many ways, you guys in the US and Canada are certainly getting the best and the most varieties of burls from this neck of the woods, no doubt...!

Unfortunately for many of us, burled woods species aren't something that grows everywhere, some states and areas are prone to produce the most and best burls from native trees that have been there for a long, long time. Finding them, requires country/terrain knowledge, lost of negotiating with property owners, paid Royalties, Council permits and many other requirements the "legal" burl collecting/removal may involve/require.

Despite of all that, one can not collect burls if their area don't have the tree species that normally produce them, which is the case with me here, few and far in between I may say, and certainly a lot more difficult to collect then those just hanging from the side of the trees, I wish...!:mad:

So, don't be surprise to hear that most of the burled woods/blanks Aussies have to turn, have come from the US, the one way or the other...!:eek::frown:

This is my story, and I stick with it...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Eyeshooter

G'day, George!
Banksia is exactly what I was trying to remember. In 2001-02, I had an assignment in Australia that allowed me to visit twice. The first time I shot in Sydney, Adelaide, Canberra and then diving out of Cairnes. The 2nd visit we did a day excursion with a guide to see the Three Sisters etc. That was shortly after the Christmas fires in NSW and the guide showed us some Banksia pods and discussed how the area would now be reforested because the pods survive the fires and then release their seeds. Seeing these at Rob's and learning you can turn them was a nice surprise.

Interesting most of the burls from Australia end up in North America. I guess not surprising as we are the "great consumers" of the world. It would be marvelous to have this beautiful wood available inexpensively. Is the Narra/Padouk tree native to Australia? I know much of it comes from Indonesia and Africa.

Thanks for the memory jog! Seems I tend to need that more often now.

Cheers,

John

Top Bottom