Grayson tighe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Hello !

I was just looking some old posts and found a link to Grayson tighe pen site. And just stare with open mouth for a while. What this guy do is ... wow.

Does anybody has some idea how this is done (just for the information, not that I expect to ver work on this level) ?
It said on web site that is is done by hand under the microscope.

http://www.tighepen.com/index.html

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Tom McMillan did not do that but he did make some pens (whose links are now gone) in which he drilled a hole in a BOW blank and inserted bloodwood under the BOW. Next, he did some carving to reveal the bloodwood.

Not nearly as complicated as the pen in the link you posted, though. It takes a good eye, good hand and "mental vision" to guide the work, along with patience.

Dario

Is it just me or is the design up side down?

I've seen his work in pen magazines...very nice but not my taste. Good thing since I cannot afford one anyway :biggrin:

leehljp

Member Liaison
The man is an amazing artist .
Hank did you check out his gallery ?

Yes I did. :) I don't claim to be in that category at all but I have had the privilege of watching fine carving of jade, ivory as well as wood on occasion on this side of the ocean. It is as much mental and vision like an artist has as it is skill. Shucks I have watched diamond cutters in SE Asia.

When I mentioned T. McMillan, I was talking about the technique. Maybe I read it wrong and take it too literally when people ask "How did they do that?" I watch, look, observe, ask questions on occasion and figure it out. No, I don't have the skill but the overall technique is not a secret. I have far more problem figuring out the techniques of a couple of Eagle's blanks and Bruce Boone's ring inserts. :biggrin:

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
More than likely, these designs are created on a computer using jewelry design software. Very available, but quite expensive. Once the designs are complete, perhaps with a few iterations, they are transferred to a CNC machine and the designs are machined in wax. Another possibility is with the computer design in hand, a three dimensional printer is used to make a model. These are then cast in metal to make a mold and once a mold is made, there are common techniques to replicate. The process is not very difficult to figure out - coming up with a visually appealing design is the hard part.

heinedan

I have also marvelled at his creations. The most amazing thing is that he started making pens when he was 18, and I think he is only about 24-25 now!!!! He's just a kid!!!

Dan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dan's profile on his site alludes to his extensive background in CNC and how he has made it pertain to pen making. So, I suspect his designs are his own, but the CNC plays a large part in their production.

Though he also says he spends weeks making one pen and only makes one at a time -which is kind of "counter-intutitive" of what I know of the benefits of CNC (ie repeatable production).

So, that's a long way to say, "I dunno!!"

As pretty and fantastic as all of these are, most do not appeal to me at all... I like some of Dan Symonds' tru-stones that are more or less b to b with closed ends and matching finial pieces... Just my opinion for what little it's worth, but I've seen more traditional pens on this and other sites that I think are by far more appealing.

PR_Princess

Dan Symonds was an exhibitor at the last DC show. I got a chance to meet and speak with him there. I have to say that he is a super nice guy. I was not only impressed by his work, but by Dan himself.

Dan's pens for the most part, are CNC'd. But after taking to him for a while, it is my understanding that he prefers the challenge of one of a kind work, not production (like Tighe). He mainly uses the CNC as a tool to that end.

Last edited:

babyblues

I admire Tom and Dan's work for the creativity of it, but Grayson's work is absolutely stunning. I suspect that many of you are correct that he uses a CNC machine to do the bulk of the work, but computers don't make designs like that all by themselves. The ability to take something from concept to finished product is what separates true artists from the rest of us. The detail and imagery in some his one-of-a-kind pens is just breathtaking. Some of them are not for young eyes, but the artistic expression is incredible.

its_virgil

Dan built his CNC router from scratch; he does his own design work; writes the code for the CNC router; and actually makes his pens himself. Tighe does the design work and has other metal engraving and sculpting artists do the actual metal work for him. I have more admiration for what Dan does than what many of the Tighe-type penmakers do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
And, yes Dawn, he is one super nice guy.

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
One thing I also noticed about Dan Symonds' pens is that he utilizes what appears to be and could only be described as VERY coarse threads on his caps. For those who have seen them in person, is that a correct assessment, and how do they feel?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
One thing I also noticed about Dan Symonds' pens is that he utilizes what appears to be and could only be described as VERY coarse threads on his caps. For those who have seen them in person, is that a correct assessment, and how do they feel?
Dan's coarse threads are one of the things that are his signature. The other is the awesome designs and craftsmanship. Yes they work, feel great and work very well. And as others have said - he's a real nice guy to boot. If you're ever at a pen show where he displays, be sure to look him up. You'll be in for a treat.

its_virgil

And the square threads will keep the cap on the pen...and does it very well. I've seen lots of Dan's work in person and spent some time with him. I'm impressed with the "square threads"as Dan calls them as well as the pens that Dan makes. Has anyone mentioned what a nice guy he is?
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Dan's coarse threads are one of the things that are his signature. The other is the awesome designs and craftsmanship. Yes they work, feel great and work very well. And as others have said - he's a real nice guy to boot. If you're ever at a pen show where he displays, be sure to look him up. You'll be in for a treat.

btboone

I believe that Grayson partners with a sculptor. He would probably make a master from wax or clay or a soft metal, and the part can then be scanned and input into CAD. It is refined and either 3D printed or machined from wax to make a mold for a lost wax cast silver part. The blue part is simply anodized titanium from a CNC lathe, and that part is relatively straightforward.

Skye

I believe that Grayson partners with a sculptor. He would probably make a master from wax or clay or a soft metal, and the part can then be scanned and input into CAD. It is refined and either 3D printed or machined from wax to make a mold for a lost wax cast silver part. The blue part is simply anodized titanium from a CNC lathe, and that part is relatively straightforward.

OOooooooh what do you know? ;)

btboone

I could do the blue part. :) The flying horses and dragons and stuff are the tricky part, (but he doesn't do that part either.) :wink:

btboone

I'm still doing the textured titanium. The patent is still pending on it. I made a ring today with it. Here's one similar to that one.

Attachments

• mokumaniuminlay.jpg
    mokumaniuminlay.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom