Grass tree burl??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

neon007

I recently ran across 6 Grass Tree burl blanks. Boy!!! They cost an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any experience with it?? I have never seen it before and now I got some. Sweet!! Just trying to get a heads up before it get here. Does it turn well?? Sand easy?? Finish well?? Thanks.

gt.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

No experience but read about it a lot. Beware of the dust...it has been reported to be really nasty. Use DC and other protection if possible.

I look forward trying some myself mind sharing your source (and cost) via email?

Buzz

As other have said the dust is considered very harmful. The Grasstree (Xanthorrhoea Preissii) is not a tree as such, and the "timber" comes from the root ball and a short section of the stem. The dots you see in the blanks are the remains of the dead leaves as the plant grows upward. It is very, very slow growing and is getting harder to obtain.

Good information about it here:

http://jackdevos.com/grasstree_info.cgi

PenPal

Keith,
Pic of Grass Tree var Pressii

Pen

Tree root base upside down 15 yrs in my shed cut in May.This variety is the only yellow one,turns easily and well.Slimline shown.

Blocks to show not to use some of the brown areas,yours seem great.

It is a hairy species use paper after shaping allow a little more size before sanding.

It is beautiful and unique. Peter

PS Someone is using the word burl when it truly is natural grass tree you show on the forum no such thing as grass tree burl.

200781122244_W.A%208%20640x458.jpg
<br />

200781122341_W.A%2010%20640x282.jpg
<br />

20078112266_WA7%20223x927.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom