Granite possibilities ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verne

With all the granite countertops etc. being installed, has anyone ever tried to make a pen from granite scraps? Seems you would need a special boring tool, kinda like that used to cut holes in the glass blocks that we all made a lamp for Mother out of in high school. Then some abrasive tool to do the rounding (milling) and, oh, I don't know. Guess thats why I'm asking.
On another note. What do you know about "wormy chestnut" as far as turning for pens. I had an inquiry on my site as to whether I would be interested in buying some from a proclaimed non penturner. Dont know anything about it except it is almost extinct. Do you?
Vern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Vern
The only tools that will cut granite are diamond edged. Even though granite is a hard and heavy surface there are void (Fissures) with in the rock. If you catch on of those you will definitely have a missile flying around in your shop. Check with one of your counter top shops.

Randy_

The subject of pens made from granite and other hard rocks has come up before and several folks have proposed to explore the possibility. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been successful in this effort.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
The only stone I've heard of any success with is alabaster and soapstone. So far I'm 1 for 2 on sopastone pens. Gonna try #3 soon.

Oahunative

Granite and Marble blanks will both drill successfully using standard masonry bits, water is needed to keep the material cool. Take it slow. Once drilled, use a 4" grinder with a diamond blade to grind the excess off the blank. How you choose to hold the blank while grinding is up to you. Once the bulk of the excess has been ground off (watch those fingers) put the blank on your lathe and go through a standard sanding process to get the piece shaped, you'll want to start with very aggressive grit (possibly #50) to quickly remove and shape then move through each step finer and finer until you're where you want to be. Stone is usually polished with a buffing wheel and wax compounds specifically made for it, any wax will work in a pinch though. Just be sure it's not a colored compound similar to a jewelers rouge as there are fissures in all stone that will collect material within.

Be aware that all stone prepared that thin will be very fragile, once dropped on a hard surface from more that 6-12 inches may result in a chipped or broken treasure. CA glue will work fine for gluing tubes or repairing issues.

Be it known, I've never made a pen from stone. I have made dozens of art forms from earrings to smoking pipes in days gone by.

Hope this helps clear the subject up a bit.

Questions ??

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom