Granite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy1

This web site is invaluable. I have yet another question. Can you or has anyone ever tried turning granite? I have someone who will give me a large piece of granite counter top but I don't see how you could turn it w/o diamond tipped tools.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

It would be heavy. There used to be a site years ago that some one was making and selling (or trying to sell, @ about $900 each) some pens from marble. I would think you would need a grinder set up.

Chasper

Stone up to about 3.5 on the mohs scale seems to turn pretty good. A cheap pocket knife will scratch any stone up to 4 on the mohs scale, a penny will scratch up to 3 on the scale. I've turned pipestone, soapstone, malachite, and flourite (be careful, deadly dust comes from malachite and flourite).

Granite is 7 on the mohs scale, in absolute hardness a 3.5 mohs is about 15 while granite is 100 absolute hardness. I've seen rock lathes and stone working tools that can handle that and much more, but it is tough.

Gerry

workinforwood

Drilling it is a nightmare, that's a fact. Assuming you drill a hole and it's not all warped and oblong, you win more than half the battle! I half to wonder if you were able to get past the drilling part, then you could turn it and use an electric automotive grinder instead of a chisel to grind it down as it turns. I never turned it, but sure thought all about it many times, as I do have some great pieces in my shop that I found in a dumpster. I have three windows in my shop and the sills inside are from this granite. I used a circular saw and a hose to cut the slabs to fit, basically 1 window is 3ft by 6" and the other two are about 2ft by 6" deep. I made 3 cuts and it ate 4 cutter disks, and that's using some water to help! I didn't bother sanding and polishing the edges by that time it seemed impossible, so I used wood trim to cover the front edge of the granite.

My biggest fear...lets say you pull it off, as it is possible of course...the pen gets dropped, the granite could shatter. YIKES !!!!! All that time and energy for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom