A grain match question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dustmaker

For threaded capped pens, do you normally strive to match the grain in the capped or posted orientation? Silly question #2, do you worry about matching patterns with acrylics?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

I match the grain capped. I find that most people look at the grain when the cap is on.
When they pull the cap, they are evaluating the weight, balance and writing.

mick

Most match the grain with the pen capped....normally if you were displaying the pen or handing it to someone it would be capped. In these cases I'd think you'd want the grain to match. #2 Yes if possible. Sometimes after turning the patterns or swirls aren't easily matchable. YMMV

Rangertrek

Capped

I match both wood and acrylic in the capped position. I personally think it looks better. When I lay a pen on a desk it is usually capped and looks good with grain or pattern match.

Second on the re-capping during a show! I always manage to get the wrong start point when demonstration to a customer.

I can't remenber who taught me the trick to making the match during assembly. It was a well learned lesson.
I screw the lower barrel coupler into to finished cap coupler and then slide the lower coupler into the blank as far as hand pressue will allow. Unscrew the top, press fit, and everything should align (hopefully).

Last edited:
Top Bottom