Grain alignment question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

I like to have the wood grain line up on my pens, but it's hard to do with some pen kits. Especially ones with a twist on cap. I know with the Elegant American, I press the parts in out of order to make sure the grain lines up.

How do you align the grain on cap pens?

Do you even care?

Do you like to have the grain align on a twist pen when the refil is exposed or when it's closed?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Richard,

This question comes up periodically. The general consensus is that the grains should align when the pen is closed as that is how the pen is typically displayed.

broitblat

I think the question was how to accomplish the alignment, not what the choice of alignment should be?

For that question, I'll describe what I do for the Baron as an example. I press the nib holder into the lower barrel and then screw on the center band (not yet pressed into the upper barrel). Now align the upper barrel however you'd like and gently hand press it onto the center band just enough to be lightly snug. Now you can unscrew the center band from the lower barrel and finish pressing it in with a pen press, clamp, etc.

I hope that was useful.

twoofakind

Keep in mind that even when you line up the cap as stated, there are two screw starting points.If it does not line up the first time after assembly unscrew the cap and rotate while gently putting a little pressure until you feel it catch and then screw it down.
Andy

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Actually, most of our kits are 4-start threads. Even if you align the grain properly, a novice only has a 1-in-4 chance of putting the cap back on correctly. Heck, I miss it about half the time! [8D]

leevis

Originally posted by broitblat
<br />I think the question was how to accomplish the alignment, not what the choice of alignment should be?
[8D]And...
Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />Do you like to have the grain align on a twist pen when the refil is exposed or when it's closed?
I always try to have the grain line up when closed. For screw cap pens, like DCBluesman said, most kits have 3 or 4 thread start points, so it's more difficult to line it up. However, I always make sure I assemble them so the grain can be lined up with the cap on the nib end, as opposed to the post end.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Grain alignment on twist pens is a little more tricky due to the fact that the upper barrel will twist aaround the transmission. Thanks to Don Ward (it's Virgil), I now dimple the transmission so the barrel doesn't slip. Once aligned, always aligned...mostly! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom