Grain alignment on assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Probably a question that has been asked a bit but being absolutely rubbish with forum searches it's easier for me to just ask again :)

Guessing there will be different opinions on this but when you assemble pens is there a specific way you align markings on the sections? On a twist pen would you align the top & bottom when the nib is out (ie being used) or when the nib is in ( ie not being used)
With a pen that has a cap would you align when the cap is on covering the nib or when it is on the other end of the pen when the pen is being used?
I have a couple of rollerball kits where the cap fits both ends of the pen so wasn't sure which way to align wood grain lol

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Martin, on RBs and FPs I always align the nib end to the center band. On FPs, when the cap is posted (if able), I align the clip to the nib. With BPs, I align in the closed position.

KB8JXO

With the pen closed

Usually when people show off their prized pens they got from you, it is when they are finished writing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, think the answers were pretty much what I had expected but always worth checking :)
I had been aligning them that way myself because it seemed to be the right way but wasn't 100% sure. Watched quite a few pen turning tutorials & I don't think it has been mentioned in any of them :)

Top Bottom