Grain aligned retracted or extended?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

I personally align the grain with the pen retracted but in looking at alot of the images on here I notice that some people align the grain with the pen extended.
Does this fall to personal preference or is there a story one way or another?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I do mine retracted as well. but there is a bit of reasoning for me.while estended the pen will most likely be in use and the grainwill nto be as visable as when retracted. while retracted it will most likely be laying around where it is more visable. keep it looking it's best while the most visible. Or I just think to much.

WoodChucker

Retracted for me also. Its not a golden rule or anything, but like the others have stated, it looks better for display.

driften

retracted... for the same reasons above. I did do a cool ironwoon pen that is half sapwood and it looks aligned both ways! Just the luck of the draw [:)]

Thumbs

Extended reasoning, retracted reasoning, just plain reasoning?
Sounds good to me! I think! Don't ask for my reason why. I think it's all just so unreasonable, anyway. No, let me retract that!
Just because is reason enough! Don't you think? Obviously, I don't, do you? Let me retract that, too! No! Three![:D]
Retracted wins by three to none!
Help meee!

So far, far, away..."Looks like a landslide so far" Is that enough from the farside?
[:p][:p][:p][:p]

MDWine

Actually, with the first couple I made, it didn't line up, so it didn't matter!!! One less thing to worry about... (I know better now, and NOW I KNOW HOW!) Thanks to IAP!!

dubdrvrkev

Thumbs, you just gave me a headache ;)

On pens that are kind of difficult, how does everybody keep them straight? I put a little sharpie mark on the inside and edge of the brass tubes before I turn them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom