Gouge Preference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

I think I have the type of gouge you use and I also find it does a wnderful job in not only wood, but if you turn it sideways, it makes great cuts in all sorts of resins. I use a few other tools, but none get the same amount of use while making pens.

I like a round nose scraper for most of my wood pens... I used it for acrylics until I read Ed Davidson's post about using the skew... now I will round the blank with a scraper then switch to the skew to finish the cuts. I sometimes usa a spindle gouge is good to do very light finish cuts..

bradh

I have used a spindle gouge for turning pens. I prefer a skew, but the spindle gouge is a little easier to learn with.
The spindle gouge is good if you want to do some bead work on the pen.
Brad

LEAP

After watching Alan Lacers skew video I switched from the spindle gouge and now there is no going back. I find the versatility meets all the needs I have. Prior to watching the video I was "scared of the skew" I had had some major catches doing spindle work when I first tried one but found it was a case of technique and using too small a tool for the job. Now I hardly ever grab another chisel when doing a pen.

bnoles

Brian,

I have the Kip and Rex gouge and really like it. I use it to get the pen roughed down and then switch to the skew for clean up. The combination of the 2 tools works great for me.

Dario

I've reached the point where I can turn a pen using just ONE of my tool (bowl gouge, skew, roughing gouge, parting tool, scraper, etc.) if I wanted. BUT it won't be the most efficient way (for me) to do it so I don't.

I predominantly use both my roughing gouge and skew 99% of the time on all my pens. It all boils down to what best work for you [:)].

kent4Him

I use a gouge with the Irish grind. Far up the flute as I can go. I occationally use a skew, but I do mostly woods. For the few acrylics that I have done, the round nosed scraper is the best for me. On antler, I use a gouge until round and then I use the skew, but only as a scraper.

As you can see, there are many answers to this one question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom