which gouge to get

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sjhuse

I'm still considering which 5/8 roughing gouge to get with my limited budget - I am looking at WoodRiver, Ben's best and Stone Mountain. Anyone have experience with these? (I'm working with a budget of 50.00). I was leaning towards WoodRiver but it won't ship until after April 1 but would like to get it sooner then that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjjaworski

I never owned a spindle roughing gouge. I've always just used a spindle gouge or a skew.

If you want tools that will last and cut well, I'd suggest looking at Thompson Tools. I use a 3/8 spindle gouge to rough out my acrylics before switching to a skew.

The thing I like about dealing with Doug is that he offers great customer service and is a very nice fellow to boot. No middle men getting a slice of the pie. The toolmaker gets all the money for his work.

If not now because of budget constraints, perhaps in the future.

Thompson Lathe Tools

Wildman

Think a ¾" roughing gouge will serve you better than 1/2 "or 5/8" for spindle work any brand HSS or almost HSS will get the job done.

If looking for a 5/8" bowl gouge for roughing out bowl blanks buy 5/8" Thompson U or V-shape without handle. While not cheap at about $92 with shipping biggest bang for the bucks if compare to other brands not on sale.

sjhuse

Right now I'm only turning pens and small things. I have been learning with a 5/8" long handle gouge (the one that woodcraft sales) and wanted something similar.

TBCbushings

I am planning on demoing my pen tool later today live on cam to show how it works.
..mine uses the 15 mm square and the 18 mm round in the same tool...

BassBlaster

I will also vote for the carbide tools. I use my own home made version of the Easy Wood tools and I love em. They do 90% of my pen work.

That being said, if you are only limited to a couple tools, I would hold off on the carbide tools for now. Carbide tools are esentially scrapers rather than cutting tools so they dont work well at all on some woods. I just had a Leopardwood blank explode on the lathe last night trying to use a carbide tool. Thy work great for most woods but there are some it tries to chunk out the grain every time.

KenV

The little 5/8 spindle roughing gouge that Doug Thompson sell is really sweet. It comes with a heavy round shank that fits nicely into his 5/8 inch handles. Works sweet for roughing and finish cuts. I still like the skew for the final passes.

(works very very well for mosquito house christmas tree ornaments too.)

plano_harry

Another vote for the PenPro. I am a beginning turner and was using a friend's tools. Bought a PenPro and man what a difference. Made a believer out of my friend as well. Slices right through wood/aluminum/acrylic segments with ease. Just get the tool - make your own hande and save a few bucks. :)

Stretch your budget just a bit and get the Woodchuck PenPro you will never regret it.
Tools

Top Bottom