Got A Problem & Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

Concerning slimline pens, I am finding that the fittings vary a couple thousands in a kit. The bushings are .330 and the nib, cb or clip cap can be .328.

This presents me with the problem of trying to turn or sand the barrels a little under size in order to build up the finish to match the fittings. I can't get past the bushings .330 without eating in to them.

What should I be doing?

Thank you much.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Congrats Darryl!!!!

You are measuring and paying attention to fine details and that shows great advance in your techniques!!!!

The bushings get you close -- you may have developed an assortment of sizes of bushings now with wear and tear -- you can short them by size and use the ones you need to get closer. (Shower Rings with tags for sizes helps).

OR

you can use the dead center/live center with your calipers (and a light touch setting the turned blanks between the centers) to final polish sand and finish. A dead center with a 60 degree angle is about $10 and will last longer than the lathe if you do not drop it too often.

Great to see the signs of your advance!!!

dhallnc

Lin, I am TBC and do use calipers. The problem I am having is getting below the bushings without eating into them.

I also use the delrin bushings for finishing. I'm afraid I'll screw them up if I turn or sand with them.

KenV

Darryl -- You do not need to use the bushings between centers -- lightly with the tubes on the centers.

dhallnc

Congrats Darryl!!!!

You are measuring and paying attention to fine details and that shows great advance in your techniques!!!!

The bushings get you close -- you may have developed an assortment of sizes of bushings now with wear and tear -- you can short them by size and use the ones you need to get closer. (Shower Rings with tags for sizes helps).

OR

you can use the dead center/live center with your calipers (and a light touch setting the turned blanks between the centers) to final polish sand and finish. A dead center with a 60 degree angle is about $10 and will last longer than the lathe if you do not drop it too often.

Great to see the signs of your advance!!!

Ahhh! Ken, do I even need the bushings to fine tune the last few thousandths?

wouldentu2?

To get the fit and feel you like you need to turn or sand down the bushing and use a caliper to get the exact fit you need.

KenV

You got it Darryl --- but if you get heavy handed you will crack the blanks -- but for finishing - there is nothing in the way

be sure the ends of the tubes are clear and the fit is nice.

Top Bottom