Got a lathe, now what do I need?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I am picking up a Wilton mini this weekend (my 1st lathe!!) so what else do I need to get to start turning pens!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

6" vernier or digital caliper and a small micrometer so you can get a nice metal to wood fit on your pens...

PenWorks

A secound JOB [:D]

Get the Craft Supply catalog, look at Arizona Silhouete web site a Brea catalog and start to get familar with the kits you want to make and can afford to make.

Good luck and don't blame us for your new additction, you have nobody to blame but yourself, you got the lathe [:D] Have Fun [:p]

cozee

I already have some of the things mentioned: enough $$$ to get me going, wood, calipers, micrometers, and the most important part, an understanding wife. We've been married for over 26 years and I have always had 1-2 hobbies going and she has always been very understanding. HONEST!!

Is there a company that offers a start-up kit of sorts? Especially tools. For the most part I know squat about turning and the tooling involved. I've noticed there are different mandrels so will I need more than one? Bushings?? Which kit(s) are the most favorable for a noobie?

CA was mentioned. Which one/type since there are sooooo many to choose from these days?

Haha! I sound like a kid! I told ya all with my very first post that I would be asking a lot of questions. It just has taken me a bit to get warmed up!

BogBean

You may want to order BB's video on penturning. This video got me started and was a great help. Saved me time and money...

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/index.htm

2005102122952_bb.jpg
<br />

cozee

Hoops one things I forgot to mention, is to hide your pens from your LOYL, if not you will not be able to sell them

Darley,

I'll probably be the one giving them away while she keeps saying we could sell them!!!

Where abouts in Oz are you from?? We have friends in Kalgoorlie, SW Australia.

cozee

I meant W (western). Sorry. I suffer from FFS (fat finger slip-ups) and didn't double check before posting.

knottyharry

HI Greg,
If you go to the pennstate industries we site, main page.
They have a free dvd you can get of pen turning.
Bills is a good one also.
Several have starter kits.
Woodturningz.com sells the same stuff as penn state...but discounts it a little. And I think they are faster on delivery.
I think Bill may have one of the better mandrels.
Someone else on here is selling them also...don't remember who.
I like the Thick CA glue....but there are group sales on here also.
Get yourself a ( live center ) for the tail stock that is for metal.
Most wood lathes come with one that is for wood...and you will burn the tip of it up.
Enjoy.
Harry

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Russ Fairfield also has a turning video available.
As far as tools go,I started with the ones from Harbor Freight.I do have a skew that I bought at Wood craft because I thought it would make me a better turner.
I was wrong.
If you know what you are doing you can turn a pen with a screw driver that has been ground sharpened and honed.
The fancy names, the amount you pay and where you bought them is just to satisfy your ego, they really don't mean squat.
Most will tell you that even the most expensive tool out of the box will still need to be tweaked to get the results YOU want.
The most important thing is eye protection, put a piece of wood between centers and start making mistakes. That's the best way to learn.
Right now you are asking questions about things you haven't even seen the results of.The answers then can only be general.
Once you have a floor full of chips and hopefully shavings, you'll have a better idea of what to ask.
BTW technically you still need the lathe.

rtjw

No matter what you get, you will always find you need more. If you get everything that everyone listed, you will still find you need something else. Just get what you feel you need and can afford.

gerryr

Check to see if there's a woodturning club in your area. Go to the American Association of Woodturners site and check their listing of local cluds. Being able to watch someone work, who knows what they're doing, is worth a 10 books, and it's free.

Originally posted by cozee
<br />I am picking up a Wilton mini this weekend (my 1st lathe!!) so what else do I need to get to start turning pens!!!

The Wilton Mini? is the model no., 99177?
Get a new live center for it. Woodcraft has a nice economy center in the MT1.

If you have a Harbor Freight, they have a nice 8 pc set of High Speed Steel gouges in the $35.00 range. They look sorta like a high end brand (and they hint at that in their blurb on the website) that are sold at another woodworking store. If you have a HF locally look on the web first and print out the webpage for the set of tools cause the set is typicaly cheaper online than in the physical store and the store will pricematch their web price. HF also has a nice 3 pc set (skew, parting tool and spindle gouge) of small turning tools in HSS that usually runs $10.

Also you will need to sharpen your gouges so consider a Wolverine system or the new one from PSI, whatever you chose just remember to sharpen your tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom