Got IAP inspired.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

My dentist (and very good friend) asked for a pen for his dental student daughter.
I saw a really creative pen/handpiece on a thread here and got a few ideas. Here's where I'm at for now. I might use a Knurl GT...would be satin. I'm kicking things around...joining the pieces should not be too complicated. To be continued.

Attachments

• IMG_7327.jpg
    IMG_7327.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That's a cool pen. . I assume it is twist action ???? . At 40,000 RPM ??? :biggrin:

WriteON

She will be the envy of the whole class.

And maybe a few of the teachers.

Her father is my dentist. (She will be my next dentist in time.) I'm a orthodontic dental technician by trade. I worked with acrylic for lifetime. I became close friends with her dad. His lab skills are the best of anyone I ever met. Lab skills...casting, carving, working with acrylics, porcelain, etc. A master that never compromised any technique. He taught me a lot when I thought I knew a lot. This gift will be a small pleasure. I hope to make her a pen she will be very proud of. It represents a thank you for letting me be a family friend. It represents the things we do here on IAP.

PenPal

Another version I just inserted the burrs along the way to show it is two handpieces.I use a Slimline kit to use the brasses and biro with the winding mechanism.

Another previous one I used the Slimline bits. I loved the way the timber went almost transparent using Aussie Hairy Oak.

Sleeving the handpiece can be turned brass or timber inside the handpiece. The worst part is dismantling the air lines etc in the handpiece. Two others self explanatory but one has a dental connection and the other Sandalwood.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF7678.JPG
    DSCF7678.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Thank you for a mate.JPG
    Thank you for a mate.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Dental Pen 5-8-2010 7-58-57.JPG
    Dental Pen 5-8-2010 7-58-57.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Sandalwood and Dental Handpiece 5-15-2010 9-19-48 [].JPG
    Sandalwood and Dental Handpiece 5-15-2010 9-19-48 [].JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

WriteON

Another version I just inserted the burrs along the way to show it is two handpieces.I use a Slimline kit to use the brasses and biro with the winding mechanism.

Another previous one I used the Slimline bits. I loved the way the timber went almost transparent using Aussie Hairy Oak.

Sleeving the handpiece can be turned brass or timber inside the handpiece. The worst part is dismantling the air lines etc in the handpiece. Two others self explanatory but one has a dental connection and the other Sandalwood.

Kind regards Peter.

Very sharp. Very creative. Original one of a kinds. Nice work...and thanks again for the inspiration.... I needed something unique. Here's my final product....found this pen the best to work with physically. Need to hi-shine the drill head or use a brand new piece.

Yes to the air line removal. Real project. I drilled into the head piece.

Attachments

• IMG_7337.jpg
    IMG_7337.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

PenPal

For one other Dentist I hand held a piece of Corian in one hand and using a Dremel and burr carved a Wisdom Tooth,inserted it half way into the pen body.

I went to the net and used poems entitled teeth by two different famous comedians, one Spike Milligan and a lady comedian Panm Ayers from England.

Also brought the house down with illustrations etc under the title tooth fairy.

I love your pen extremely feminine and appropriate.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• The Getting of Wisdom.JPG
    The Getting of Wisdom.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 104

WriteON

For one other Dentist I hand held a piece of Corian in one hand and using a Dremel and burr carved a Wisdom Tooth,inserted it half way into the pen body.

That is 100% appropriate... it's more than a pen.

Last edited:

WriteON

I learned a lot working with these 2 pieces. An 8mm brass tube fits perfect over the twist. Thanks again PenPal (and all members that post their unique projects). Keep showing and sharing.

Attachments

• E23A117A-7B8F-41D6-BD25-F48E5E9600D5.jpg
    E23A117A-7B8F-41D6-BD25-F48E5E9600D5.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Top Bottom