Got a chance to teach pen turning!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This past weekend I had the opportunity to teach pen turning to one of my friends.

This had to be one of the best times I have had in my workshop. I had shown some of my pens to one of my buddies who I coach football with and he really was eager to see how the process was done. He went to woodcraft and picked up a couple kits he liked and brought them over with him. He also brought me a block of brazilian walnut, 6 deer antlers, and 5 30-06 shells that he had as a trade for teaching him how to turn a pen.

I walked him through the process and explained everything to him and he watched me TBC the top portion of the pen then he turned the bottom portion. He did the finish and I helped him get it all pressed together. He thought it was the coolest thing. He did a good job for the first time. I have given him the website as well and I think we have another addict.

Jesse

randywa

I have a similar chance this week. My neighbor, who has already bought 3 pens and some other things in the past 2 months, would like to come over and give it a try before he buys a lathe and some tools for himself. I hope I can live up to his hopes and expectations.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
For what it's worth; I have been teaching pen turning/making in my small garage shop for a few years. I charge for the class because I believe that things that are free with no obligation, tend to not have value to some folks. I furnish all materials and give the "student" options of the kit and blanks they want to make. The class usually lasts 3 to 4 hours and includes tool selection and sharpening, different methods for drilling and squaring blanks and, if wood is to be used for the pen blank, I teach them the CA finishing method I use. They end up with a pen I would sell for $35 or more and the class cost $60. I've had no negative feedback and the "students" are pleased or they don't have to pay for the class (that's never happened). I've had a ball doing this and have taught grandmothers and their grandsons, a father and son combo class, kids as young as 7yo, and one fellow who was handicaped and was thrilled with the final results of his labors to the point of tears. I've taught doctors, dentists and nurses. I truly believe that I have received more in the process of this effort than any of the "students" have and look forward to doing it more if my health holds out. How better way to pay forward the talent we were given by God and to have the opportunity of meeting all of these wonderful folks and spending time together learning. I recommend it highly, share your wealth of knowledge.
WB

Top Bottom