GORILLA GLUE CURING

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I almost always use CA for tubes but lately I have had trouble with some burls, even stabilized burls. Chunks are breaking off on the lathe. I want to go back to trying Gorilla Glue but waiting time is always a problem. Everything I read from members and others says to wait 24 hours. Is it really 24 hours or is overnight -more like 12 hours- enough?

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
According to the Gorilla Glue website, "Gorilla Glue cures in one to two hours, while Gorilla Glue fast curing formula cures in 30-60 minutes. And for best results, both should be left overnight. "

bitshird

What Lou said, I've been using the fast cure and it does set up quicker, but Maximum strength is still a few hours off, so I glue up before I close the shop. and in the morning they are ready. Be sure to secure the tubes with rubber bands or the blue painters tape (the glue doesn't stick to the tape, it pulls free)

PaulDoug

Be sure to secure the tubes with rubber bands or the blue painters tape (the glue doesn't stick to the tape, it pulls free)

NOW YOU REMIND ME!!!! Haven't used GG in a lone time so got it out yesterday decided to use it. Forgot one little thing and got a tube sticking out of the blank about 3/16"! Time to improvise.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What Lou said, I've been using the fast cure and it does set up quicker, but Maximum strength is still a few hours off, so I glue up before I close the shop. and in the morning they are ready. Be sure to secure the tubes with rubber bands or the blue painters tape (the glue doesn't stick to the tape, it pulls free)

I always glue at least a day (and usually more) before I turn anything regardless of what glue I use.

Lenny

I use Sumo glue, which is the same type glue as Gorilla glue but supposedly sets up faster. When I really don't want to wait overnight I use 5 min (or lately 30 min) Epoxy. That is plenty fast enough for me. I didn't take me long to give up on CA for gluing tubes in. While I'm sure there are some out there who have good luck with it, I'd rather save it for use as a finish.

tool-man

+ Sumo

Cures a bit faster, and faster still if you moisten the inside of the blank with some water on a Q-tip. Less foaming also. I usually wait 12 hrs or so before turning just to be on the safe side.

bradh

I almost always use CA for tubes but lately I have had trouble with some burls, even stabilized burls. Chunks are breaking off on the lathe. I want to go back to trying Gorilla Glue but waiting time is always a problem. Everything I read from members and others says to wait 24 hours. Is it really 24 hours or is overnight -more like 12 hours- enough?

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Another option for burls is to seal the ends of the blanks with CA after squaring the blanks. This strengthens the ends where the chunks usually break off from.

DurocShark

I got a reminder about the need for water with Gorilla glue last night. I glued up some blanks days ago. Lots of oozing and such, so I figured it was well cured. Went to clear the tube and found some was still sticky. Grr... Forgot to wet the blanks.

RAdams

Banned
i have had good luck with GG and have never wet the blanks or tubes..... but i will be trying it!

I let my blanks set at least 12 hours after glue up. I have pressed pens that were turned early and had glue ooze out. Totally sucks when that happens!

Top Bottom