PR vs Acrylic turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

I'm being forced out of my "nitch" zone,which has been local old and unusual woods plus bullet pens,by some lady customers who want some more colorful and girly:tongue:pens.I have turned a little acrylic but some of the blanks I like is PR,is there anything different in turning and finishing them,or do they both act the same? Thanks for any info. John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
No, they do not act the same.

Acrylics are manufactured with high heat and pressure, making them far more dense than we can achieve in "home-labs" with Polyresin.

You can "beat an acrylic blank into submission" with dull tools and muscle.

A PR blank will shatter.

If you are turning, using the sharp edge of your tool, the material being turned is unimportant. Once you learn to turn Polyresins, you will be on your way to turning virtually anything.

But, no they are not all created equal. Not even all Polyresin is created equal--in general, the more MEPK, the "chippier" the blank. Like all generalities, there are exceptions, but few.

Sabaharr

This is not an answer to your question but a suggestion to get you going in the right direction. Start off with the right colors for the ladies.In my experience only I have had the best interest in the pinks (a color called BIKINI in particular), aquas, blues, greens (GECKO color seems to be best), and reds, with purple topping the list (BURPLE outsells all other colors combined). I know that sounds like every possible color just about but when you get into the colors this barely scratches the surface.

papNal

Acrylics are manufactured with high heat and pressure, making them far more dense than we can achieve in "home-labs" with Polyresin.

A PR blank will shatter.

If you are turning, using the sharp edge of your tool, the material being turned is unimportant. Once you learn to turn Polyresins, you will be on your way to turning virtually anything.

But, no they are not all created equal. Not even all Polyresin is created equal--in general, the more MEPK, the "chippier" the blank. Like all generalities, there are exceptions, but few.

Thanks Ed.I'll be using "store bought" acrylic and PR blanks but before I ordered I wanted a little idea of what I was getting into.I've already found the dreaded acrylic 'strangle strings' on some camo blanks.I'll be sure to stay sharp on the PR. John

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are creating ribbons (strangle strings is fine), you are likely to be successful.

When you SEE ribbons coming off, evaluate WHAT you are doing!!! This is YOUR starting point for a technique that will work for YOU.

One of my greatest frustrations is someone writing to me, asking what they are doing WRONG. I DON'T know, I'm not standing there!! Have you EVER created ribbons?? Yes, then what did you do differently THEN??

EVALUATE your turning, that's how you can learn--when you have no "on-site" instructor.

USAFVET98

Another suggestion, just putting it out there, Buy your blanks from Ed and Dawn of Exoticblanks.com.:biggrin:

Thanks Ed.I'll be using "store bought" acrylic and PR blanks but before I ordered I wanted a little idea of what I was getting into.I've already found the dreaded acrylic 'strangle strings' on some camo blanks.I'll be sure to stay sharp on the PR. John

Lenny

<snip>

A PR blank will shatter.
<snip>

I learned this the (usual) hard way when drilling my first PR blank from Ed and Dawn. I had never had much problem DRIVING that bit through the blank (mostly wood and acrylic up to that point) with my drill press. But with the PR I got blow out where the bit came through. I knew this could be a problem just had gotten lax in my methods because it hadn't happend to me... yet! Luckily I had allowed extra length and was able to CA a chunk back to the blank and before gluing the tube in and it just made it. At least I was more aware once I was ready to turn. :biggrin:

Top Bottom