PR Ivory, I have it...now what?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I have never worked with CSUSA ivory before. It came with a paper that said not to use a gouge...is this true? Am I going to need to use the skew the whole way? Please give me some tips on this. I have them ready to go on the lathe but I'll wait to here back from someone before I get to work on it. Thanks everyone!

I here it's like PR or celluloid but I use a gouge for both. Nice and sharp and not forced.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by Jim in Oakville
<br />Hi Jonathan,

Well I did use a skew and it was not a problem. The shear cut of the skew made it a clean process for me. I do hone with a diamond plate when I use the skew, about 4-5 times making the Emp I made with it.

If you are unsure about the skew, try it on some waste wood between centre's. I turn with it point down....works really well, keep the bevel rubbing and use the edge in the lower 50% of the width of the skew. The ivory blank is thick, so you have room for error.

Hope that helps....

200644194243_IMG_4475.jpg

Johnathan

Thanks Jim, I'm making an Emperor as well. I have no problems and am quite comfy using the skew, it just seems like a long process. I'd rather use the gouge and then move to the skew. But if the skew it is, then that's what I'll do. I can only hope mine turns out as nice as yours. [;)] I also bought 3 of the blanks so if I mess up the first, I won't loose too many tears!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I do it from start to finish with a skew, but I never read the directions.

If you've done CSUSA inlace poly, this will be a piece of cake!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom