PR HELP Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevebuk

i am at my wits end with this bl@@dy stuff, for some reason i just
cannot get a decent finish on it. I turned it tonight, sanded right up to 3200mm, TCut it, carnuba, and finally ren wax. Stopped the lathe, looked at the end result, only to see loads of white flecks and bits in the resin. I have tried several colours of this bl@@dy stuff now, at it happens all the time, so it must be me.
So what am i doing wrong?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Post a photo! It almost sounds like you have some crummy blanks full of tiny air bubbles that are filling up with buffing compound.

And just curious, I don't know what TCut is but why are you using two different types of wax on polyester resin? A bit overkill don't you think?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Carnauba and Ren Wax on plastic? I bet THAT is your problem. All the blanks should need is a good plastic polish and/or buffing. Don't put any of that "junk" on them.

gerryr

My thoughts exactly. The wax won't do anything for plastic. You don't really put a finish on plastic, just polish it. You need to use Micromesh all the way to 12000 and then either a plastic polish or buff it with White Diamond.

barrels

Steve,

you have received some good advice for sure. I do a lot of acrylics and the way I finish them typically is to sand them down to 1000 on the sandpaper side, WET sand/polish them with the plastic polish pads that are available at PSI/CSUSA and many other places. I go all they way through the different grades and at the end I have a pretty well polished blank, then I will take a plastic polish and do a final finish. Any plastic polish will work, I have heard some guys use toothpaste. Now some times I do use my Beall polishing system first I use the tripoli,white diamond compounds then wax. The wax hardens nicely for a good finish. There is nothing wrong with using wax but you must use more than just wax. Now wax is not the typical way it is done but it is ok.

Top Bottom