PR/Alumilite Safety Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AFTACP

Hi all. I am getting ready to venture into turning poly resin and alumilite pens and had a quick question. I am a huge proponent of safety when it comes to workshop/personal safety in the shop. I always wear a half face respirator mask when turning in addition to my dust collection system/face shield. I seem to be a bit sensitive to a few woods I've turned in the past.

My question is should I continue wearing the respirator when turning PR/Alumilite? Obviously, I want to err on the side of caution so I'm thinking it's necessary, just wanted to check with the pros.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

With cured PR / Aluminlite you would be talking about a potential dust issue. (With some other plastics there may be other things besides dust.) Breathing PR / Alumilite dust will not do good things for your lungs over time. With sharp gouges used well in shearing cuts there may not be any dust. With other tools used in other ways, the dust generated during turning can be significant.

If you are already used to wearing the mask with wood, why not just keep using it with plastics?

Ed

Quality Pen

Learned about interstitial lung disease in school... never really thought twice about the compound effect of ANYTHING you're cutting up in a shop.

If you want to be safe, wear the mask.

But then again, some smokers live to be 90.

It's up to you what you feel is worth the benefit compared to the cost...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I suspect like anything creating dust, and you will create dust whether you see it or not - it really can't be good for you to breathe it.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Learned about interstitial lung disease in school... never really thought twice about the compound effect of ANYTHING you're cutting up in a shop.

If you want to be safe, wear the mask.

But then again, some smokers live to be 90.

It's up to you what you feel is worth the benefit compared to the cost...
Well I've only smoked for 65 years - I was 12 when I started. And I would say that I'm not dead yet.

jttheclockman

Hi all. I am getting ready to venture into turning poly resin and alumilite pens and had a quick question. I am a huge proponent of safety when it comes to workshop/personal safety in the shop. I always wear a half face respirator mask when turning in addition to my dust collection system/face shield. I seem to be a bit sensitive to a few woods I've turned in the past.

My question is should I continue wearing the respirator when turning PR/Alumilite? Obviously, I want to err on the side of caution so I'm thinking it's necessary, just wanted to check with the pros.

Thanks!

What is a PRO???

If you have to ask then it must be a good idea to wear one. Safety is something that only one person can control in your shop and that is you. If someone here says you do not need it, does that make it so. Not at all. Any time you sand you create dust. There is no good dust for you. Do alot of people not use them, absolutely. Does that make them smarter, absolutely not. Err on the caution side you can't go wrong. Enjoy the hobby longer. :)

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Thanks!

What is a PRO???

If you have to ask then it must be a good idea to wear one. Safety is something that only one person can control in your shop and that is you. If someone here says you do not need it, does that make it so. Not at all. Any time you sand you create dust. There is no good dust for you. Do alot of people not use them, absolutely. Does that make them smarter, absolutely not. Err on the caution side you can't go wrong. Enjoy the hobby longer. :)
Whatever you'd like it to be John:wink: In my younger days we used to think of that as someone who had a "position" rather than a job. Also, it is a term referring to those who play certain sports for money rather than 'love of the game"

Last edited:

jttheclockman

So with that definition who on here is a PRO??? Is that someone who sell their pens??? Is that someone who sells the parts to make the pens??? When do you graduate from a Rookie to a PRO??? :rolleyes:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
So with that definition who on here is a PRO??? Is that someone who sell their pens??? Is that someone who sells the parts to make the pens??? When do you graduate from a Rookie to a PRO??? :rolleyes:
In our society John, the term professional, is pretty nebulous and the word itself can be either an an adjective or a noun.

However, one of the definitions as a noun is: a person who is expert at his or her work.

And one of the definitions as an adjective is: following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime.

Another definition under adjective is: undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain:

Applying those definitions to members of IAP you can easily see that my original statement answering your question as to what is a PRO "Whatever you would like it to be" was a pretty applicable statement.

Now as to who here is a PRO we have to break it down a little. Since this is the IAP, I assume you mean who is a PRO pen maker or pen turner. I would revise my statement above slightly and say within the above definitions a PRO is "whoever you want to be a pro - is a pro":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Someone like myself, who sells parts is more on the order of an entrepreneur than a professional - unless they are selling parts they have made themselves. Of course people like Roy Robaldo and Ed Brown along with others have done both - sold their work of making pens and selling parts for making pens I suppose we could call them "professional pen making entrepreneurs".....

Last edited:

Frog Morton

My question is should I continue wearing the respirator when turning PR/Alumilite?

I wear my respirator (3M 6000 series) whenever I work with anything that might create dust and/or fumes, just to be on the safe side.
It isn't uncomfortable for me to wear, so I really have no excuse not to wear it.
I keep it within arm's reach at all times, so it only takes a couple seconds to throw it on and I'm ready to go.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Well John, it's more fun than ranting because DHL has a package with a little over $4500 in expected inventory that should have been delivered yesterday sitting at BWI. :mad::mad:

bitshird

As far as I know its safer than most exotic woods' but still wear some protection
PR isn't toxic but still your lungs don't need any dust in them

Top Bottom