Is this a good setup ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve

Want to make pens and duck calls. Would this setup be a good choice?
carba-tec4SE.jpg

Carba-Tec Pen Making Combo Starter Set
CT-LATHE-1 Carba-Tec Mini Lathe

#1 MT Mandrel
Slimline Pens pak of 5
Slimline Pencils pak of 5
PK-1008 Pen Assembly Pressr
Barrel Trimmer
Pre Drilled Pen Blanks
SG-THICK Super Glue
1/2" Pen Making gouge
30ml Shellawax polish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Steve, that is a fairly good startup set for pen turning and light turning, calls, etc. You don't give a price but you should check around with some of the suppliers. steebar, csu, berea, pennstate, etc some have had their version on sale. Also if you plan on doing bigger items, you may want to do a search a lathe choices on this site, being sure to check the archive box. You will want more turning tools & HF is a good place for great price.

Rifleman1776

The Carba Tech is a good lathe. But only one turning tool? You need a skew, preferably about 1", and a small V gouge. Also for the calls, the mandrel and bushings sets. Your choice of finishing materials is subject to tons of varying opinions.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The Carba Tech is a good lathe... BUT.. it only has a #1 morse taper and 3/4" head stock.. that will make getting accessories hard..
I think you are better off with a Jet Mini (preferable the VS if you can afford it)... I think you will be much happier...
As for tools, Harbor Freight has a full set of turning tools for about $35 in a wooden box, I am still using the set I bought 2 yrs ago and they have stood the test of time.. YES, I have more expensive tools, but these still work great...
Let's go down the rest of the line
Slimline Pens pak of 5, Slimline Pencils pak of 5 - I think most people are better off learning on Cigar Kits.. you can get them from Arizona Silhouette for a song and a dance... Pencils do not sell well...
PK-1008 Pen Assembly Presser - In the beginning you can assemble your pens using your drill press as a pen press...
Barrel Trimmer - buy the complete set that either CSU or Woodturning has for about $35.00
Pre Drilled Pen Blanks - usuall not worth the wood they are make from... besides you need to learn to drill blanks anyway...
SG-THICK Super Glue - See Monty for his prices on CA.. you won't be disappointed
1/2" Pen Making gouge - I only use a skew.. the tool kit I recommended above has gouges and skews.. you won't be sorry.
30ml Shellawax polish - worst finish in the world for long time wear (YES, I know this will start an arguement), learn to do a CA finish or use Enduro or spray lacquer for a really fantastic finish

Now please remember these are only my opinions... There are others with different outlooks...
I will add one more thing that will probably be argued to death...
DO NOT buy your kits from PSI, Woodcraft or Rockler...
I have found the quality of PSI kits and platings to be inferior
Woodcraft and Rockler resell kits from the original suppliers are inflated prices and do not offer the same diversity of platings..
I purchase all my kits from CSU, Arizona Silhouette, Berea and Bear Tooth Woods (the only place to get copper plated kits)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom's write on (intentional pun, not misspilling)

If you are doing slimlines, however, PSI has a good TN (the only as far as I know) plated kits.

Draken

If you want to stick with a starter kit from PSI, look at the TCL Pro kit, for around $260. Several users here have one, and there was even a recent discussion on it.

Draken

Edit:
Here's the link to the other discussion:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11333
This is the starter kit I got, but haven't used it yet, still building up my shop, most stuff coming as holiday gifts. I did use JimGo's lathe, he has the same one. Seems like a good starter lathe and reasonably priced.

Thumbs

See if that person selling the lathe is willing to help you turn something as a demonstration. Watch what they do and what they use to do it. You probably won't remember all the things they do, but you might get some idea of the things you need.

And as always, if it isn't free, try to talk them into lowering the price or to sweeten the pot by throwing something else into the deal. These are important skills all penturners need to develop![:D][}:)][;)]

Randy_

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />.....I think most people are better off learning on Cigar Kits.....

Excellent point, Tom. I wish more new pen crafters took this advice to heart.....and wish someone had offered it to me when I first started!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom