Good (reasonable) source for stabilized blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am not interested currently in stabilizing my own blanks - there's just not enough time in my days. I'm sure I'll get to it someday, but now is not the time.

Who is your best continuous source for reasonably priced stabilized blanks? I really need some heavily spalted stuff quick...

Thanks,
Gregory of SpaltedStuffSellingSuperb Forest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Bill Baumbeck at http://www.arizonasilhouette.com
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am not interested currently in stabilizing my own blanks - there's just not enough time in my days. I'm sure I'll get to it someday, but now is not the time.

Who is your best continuous source for reasonably priced stabilized blanks? I really need some heavily spalted stuff quick...

Thanks,
Gregory of SpaltedStuffSellingSuperb Forest

Nolan

In your opinion if I took a portion of my never ending blank stock and started offering stabalized blanks do you think they would sell? Better yet could I get your opinion on why you want stabalized over non stabalized??

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Greg, if you contact the companies that do the stabilizing, they may be able to offer you a good price on a large order of blanks.

In your opinion if I took a portion of my never ending blank stock and started offering stabalized blanks do you think they would sell? Better yet could I get your opinion on why you want stabalized over non stabalized??

Nolan,
Ive bought your BOW (it looks GREAT on the Pacifica Fishers of Men kit, by the way), that's not something that needs stabilizing, in my opinion. It was a breeze to work with.

What I am looking for is the punkier, more porous woods in stabilized versions. I really like heavily spalted woods and have received a few requests for pens that would use that also. THe medium and more dense woods don't need to be stabilized for me to get good results. The punky stuff is blowing up on me. Maybe I just don't have the touch yet, but I've only been doing this for about a month now.

There probably is a limited market for these, but, like I said, I am a rookie. I'll leave that up to you experts.

Thanks guys!

Gregory of Lookin'ForAFewGoodPens Forest

Fred

Spalted woods definitely benefit from stabilization. Chris (Mesquiteman) has some beautiful blsnkd that he has stabilized in hid own shop. BTW, they turn beautifuly and without any problems what so ever.

Do a Google search for "Stabilized woods" and call and talk with those that fit your needs. One thing to remember is that you get what you pay for these days so I would recommend any of the vendors that fellow IAP members report that they have had dealings with. Good luck!

Nolan

Nolan,
Ive bought your BOW (it looks GREAT on the Pacifica Fishers of Men kit, by the way), that's not something that needs stabilizing, in my opinion. It was a breeze to work with.

What I am looking for is the punkier, more porous woods in stabilized versions. I really like heavily spalted woods and have received a few requests for pens that would use that also. THe medium and more dense woods don't need to be stabilized for me to get good results. The punky stuff is blowing up on me. Maybe I just don't have the touch yet, but I've only been doing this for about a month now.

There probably is a limited market for these, but, like I said, I am a rookie. I'll leave that up to you experts.

Thanks guys!

Gregory of Lookin'ForAFewGoodPens Forest

Thanks for your input, thats what I thought you would say although I have seen posted a few time about folks likeing stabalized everything. It got mwe thinking that maybe I should send some out to get done so I could provide those to the folks that want it.

Thanks for your input, thats what I thought you would say although I have seen posted a few time about folks likeing stabalized everything. It got mwe thinking that maybe I should send some out to get done so I could provide those to the folks that want it.

I couldn't imagine why anyone would want everything stabilized. Wouldn't that reduce the benefits of many other finishing options? Not everyone wants a pen that has a CA finish. I personally like CA finishes, but on some pens, I want to feel the grain more.

Woodlvr

The River Ridge site is gone. I have been looking for it for a couple of weeks thinking that maybe it was just down.

hebertjo

One other reason to stabilize is the addition of color. I use many different color stabilized woods in my segmented designs and they look great all my them self as well.

KenV

See the Az Sil Sale page for some spalted stabalized blanks that are marked down a bit. Note that some of the stabalized spalted woods tend to be a bit chippy, especially at the ends so approach carefully or you may have to develop recovery strategies.

I like the colored spalted maples that Bill sells. Nice on the Sierra style pens.

Texatdurango

I used to buy all my stabalized blanks from one of the more popular sites until the last batch I ordered had several twisted and bowed blanks so I decided to look elsewhere. Then I found out about River Ridge at http://www.rrpwhite.com/acryliwood.htm, and made them my sole source for stabalized blanks.

I love the rich, vibrant colors of their box elder double dyed blanks and if the rich colors weren't enough, compare their price of $4.50 (or $4.05 if you buy 25 or more) with upwards of $6.50 elsewhere for the same thing!

Here is a sample of their colors that I use and they also carry lots of spalted and other blanks.....

Attachments

• RIVERRIDGE BLANKS.jpg
    RIVERRIDGE BLANKS.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom