Good Pen Press?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turnin4fun

Hi I am fairly new to making pens, I have been thinking about getting a pen press, does anyone know which one is better?

Thanks in Advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turbowagon

Here's mine. A little pricy at $700, but it does a few other things too! :)

Delta-46-460-lg.jpg

Mike D

A drill press is a good option. Another is your lathe. In my case I've used several pen presses but my lathe is by far the better option for me. I simply turned two pieces of plastic
to a #2 MT and insert those in the head stock and tail stock and use the tails tock quill to press in the components. The plastic is the same material used for manufacturing cutting boards and I purchased it from Tap Plastics for around $5.00.
When installing transmissions in some kits where depth is critical, the quill shaft gives me the fine adjustment required when seating these components plus it's one less piece of equipment that I have to have.

Attachments

• pen press.jpg
    pen press.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Rick P

From a whip finisher in fly tieing to the thousands of useless gadgets that are tauted as must have hunting aids every pass time I know of is full of overthought usless crap that costs twice as much as it should. Inevitably I go back to the way of doing it that has worked for years. In other words I buy the new hotness so it can sit ain a drawer while I go old school. I have a press. used it maybe 6 times.........it's a great dust collector!

Here is what I actually use! And I have never broke or bent a pen with it.

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    Resize Wizard-1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 167

Jim Smith

I've tried some of the "purpose made" pen presses and have not been happy with them. About 18 months ago, I read about someone using a Zyliss bench vise as a pen press and they had great things to say about it, so I bought one off of Ebay and absolutely love it. Super easy to control the amount of pressure and can be moved to sit whereever you want it. I've also used my lathe as a press, but found this to be much easier and convenient. Here's one on Ebay starting at $30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VUNDER-VISE...910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cb42fa8e

Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Last edited:

Mike D

I remember seeing this vice 25 years ago at the home improvement shows and never did buy one but I always wish I had for different projects around the shop. I may have to bid on this one. Thanks for posting the link Jim.

I've tried some of the "purpose made" pen presses and have not been happy with them. About 18 months ago, I read about someone using a Zyliss bench vise as a pen press and they had great things to say about it, so I bought one off of Ebay and absolutely love it. Super easy to control the amount of pressure and can be moved to sit whereever you want it. I've also used my lathe as a press, but found this to be much easier and convenient. Here's one on Ebay starting at $30

VUNDER VISE (ZYLISS) WORK TABLE VISE CLAMP FROM WORK SHOPS CAST ALUMINUM | eBay

Just a thought...

Jim Smith

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Like Rick P, I use a quick clamp but I'm thinking of getting an arbor press like this one from HF but I'll use it for other stuff too.
I'll probably still use the quick clamp 99% of the time.

PenMan1

I have several presses, including the arbor press and one each of the manufactured pen presses. They all sit in a box, unused.

I use, almost exclusively, a Zyliss Swiss made workbench clamp. It is the most versatile tool that I own and works flawlessly as an exacting pen press.

When I am on the road and need a pen press, I use an Irwin Kwik Clamp. It works better than the manufactured pen presses that I used.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Here's one a "student" brought to class.
WB

Attachments

• Pen assbly tool 1.png
    Pen assbly tool 1.png
    387.9 KB · Views: 287
  • penn assbly 2.png
    penn assbly 2.png
    407.5 KB · Views: 361
  • pen assbly 3.png
    pen assbly 3.png
    410.7 KB · Views: 270
  • pen assbly 4.png