Good Habits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I evidently have at least one good habit when it comes to turning.

I was working on a pen while my son (almost 2) played with his tools in the shop over the weekend. I needed some sandpaper from another table, so I turned off the lathe, set down my chisel, and took off my face shield to get a break (it was over 100 in the shop). I got about 7 steps, then I heard the lathe turn back on. I spin around to seen my son, wearing my face shield, trying to skew the pen on the lathe.

After racing back to turn the lathe off and taking the key, I realized that he actually had decent form. One hand was on the handle, one on the bar, and he had the tool hard against the rest. The fact that the bottom of the lathe was a couple inches above his head seemed to be an issue, but he will grow into that.

Later I gave him a blunted HF skew to fiddle with and took a couple pictures, but he was more interested in posing for the camera than working then. I will try to remember to post pictures later tonight.

I might need to make him a small lathe to work on. Maybe use a covered belt drive that is fairly loose and put styrofoam or something soft like that on it. Make the belt loose enough that the workpiece will stop if anything gets caught and a material soft enough that he can use dulled tools and still do something with it.

Lessons Learned
1. Always wear your protective equipment. Kids are watching and will do as you do.

2. Always take the safety key out, even if you are only walking away for a few seconds.

In this case, it was funny. This could have been disastrous. I make a point of keeping my tools out of reach when I am not working and him safely away when the lathe is one, but it didn't occur to me that he would race over as soon as I stepped away to try it for himself.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I might need to make him a small lathe to work on. Maybe use a covered belt drive that is fairly loose and put styrofoam or something soft like that on it. ...
Of course I can't find it now, but I would swear I saw a toy lathe made of plastic at Harbor Freight this past Christmas.

TerryDowning

Best option of all.....Keep an eye on your kids when they are in the shop.
And if you can't keep an eye on them when they are in the shop. Don't have them in the shop.

My kids weren't allowed in the shop while I was working until they ere old enough to demonstrate understanding of minimum safety rules.

Rule #1 Don't come into the shop area without permission. (Too much dangerous stuff for curious young kids to get into)

Rule #2 Never touch anything in the shop with out permission and/or supervision.

Rule #3 Never ever argue with Dad in the shop.

My kids didn't enter the shop until they were 5 or 6 years old and started working with hand tools about 8 or so.

My youngest now 16 has not used power tools yet as he has little to no interest.

My older son (25) just finished making a ballet bar for his girlfriend.

My daughter (27) Used a power saw once a while back and was scared to death of the noise it made. She has shown renewed interest in wood working lately so there is hope.

Haynie

cool story. I am sure it was a lesson learned for you. but was cool that the little guy was wearing the head protection and holding the tool right. Smart kid.

Fibonacci

My shop is a bit of a pain to work in specifically because nothing dangerous is below 4 feet unless I am actively using it. I keep wood scraps and hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, etc) down where they are accessible and I let him use them while we work.

Usually he stands at his work bench and sands or screws while I work on things.

He is blocked from getting near the lathe when I am working on it, I just accidently left the gate open because I was just grabbing a supply off another table.

That said, I am not trying to downplay what could have happened. This could have been a really bad situation and I am already looking at how to move things around to make the shop more idiot proof, because people will always be making mistakes.

TomW

One of the things I did 35 years ago, was to install a separate fuse box and circuits for my garage shop, using an unused electric clothes dryer circuit. The box has a lever arm switch to turn on or off the circuits. I got in the habit of turning off the entire shop with the switch. The arm could be locked out, but I never had to use it. Anything you can do for peace of mind around the kiddo's is worthwhile. The kids are 31 and 28 now.

Congrats on the 2 year old turner!

Tom

Tom

Top Bottom