Good gold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Just a quick question about something I couldn't find by searching.Most of the few kits I've used I got in 10k gold because I heard the finish held up much better than 24k. PSI claimes that their 24k plating has a lifetime finish,didn't say whose lifetime.Right now I'm more in the learning stage and have been making more gift pens,however I don't want to waste my time using junk kits that look lousy after a little while.Most of the slimline and comfort kits came from CSUSA in 10k and seem ok,but since I need a couple things from PSI thought about using some of their kits,can't quite afford titanium yet.Thanks .(Any other vindor kits suggestion would be appreciated.) pap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Pap,

I used (read sold) a lot of PSI kits before I started using Ti Gold. None of them were ever returned to me. Yes, 24kt wears, but PSI kits have a clear coat (I am told) and it seems to work.

Ti gold is better. But, sometimes I think PSI gets a black eye from other vendors' 24kt.

Just a FWIW, all other opinions are WELCOME!!!

Daniel

Both 10k and 24k gold will wear eventually. P.S.I. has a lifetime replacement on there gold plated parts. Not sure how often they actually have to honor it. The gold will wear but there coating does help.
want lasting gold Ti is the only option I know of. A member actually did a test on platings several years ago. I don't remember the exact results but lets say 24k wore through in 25 passes, 10k in 35 or 40 and Ti in 130 or so.

ldb2000

pap , NO plating lasts forever . That being said , the 24k gold w/epoxy coating that ALL of the suppliers use will wear the fastest , 10k or upgrade gold plate will last a little longer , Ti gold is the best and will last the longest .
I have only had a couple of complaints about 24k gold plate wearing off , or "Brassing" , but I have also had a couple of complaints about Ti gold Brassing as well and one about a platinum/rhodium plating brassing . The customer that complained about the Ti gold is also the same one with the platinum problem which makes me think the customer is the problem . Some people have a very acidic perspiration which affect the platings very quickly .
I have a PSI slimline pro click in 24k that I have been using for over 2 years now and other then a few scratches the plating is still good , no brassing yet , however the friction finish I used on it was gone in about a week .

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I read somewhere (perhaps another forum) of a test that was done on some of the
platings that came off with solvent. I didn't think platings (however good or bad) would
do that, but this was a 24k plating. Gun metal, I could see. But the gold plating
surprised me. They said it wasn't really plated, but sprayed on. I don't remember the
vendor or the particular kit, but this was a test done by someone who was starting to
plate their own kits and tested them to find out how they held up.

FWIW

Wolfcoast

I've only been turning a year but I started with PSI kits and never had a problem with them.

And while their Funline kits do NOT get the lifetime warranty, I haven't seen a problem with them either.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
When I first started and found PSI, I went through a bunch of their 24kt gold finished kits. Many of my family and friends are still using those original pens almost 3 years old now. None show any problem with the finish.

Occasionally I still use the 'upgrade gold.' I give a 'lifetime guarantee' - my lifetime. I've never had any complaints.

DurocShark

I think the problem is with the low end kits like the Funline. Those have horrid plating. Good for throwaways, etc. The chrome isn't bad, but the golds are junk.

I've been using a Rockler Jr Gent in gold for a while as a stress test, and aside from the cap threads cutting into the nib, it's held up quite well for the past month of daily use at work. And I'm not kind to pens at work.

Top Bottom