Good, cheap alternative to wax or potatoes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
There is a discussion in another thread about ways to keep glue out of tubes when gluing them in. I decided to post this tip as a new topic so maybe more people will see it.

When I first started turning pens I did not have any of the base plate wax that was recommended and did not know about potatoes. I did, however, have a tub of plumber's putty handy. That is all I use now and it works great. I take a chunk out of the tub and flatten it on my work bench to about 1/8" thick and punch my tubes in cookie cutter style. I then take the remainder and put it back in the tub for later use.

It works great, it is cheap, and is readily available. I also do not have to worry about keeping potatoes from going bad and I can keep the tub right there on my bench so I don't forget. Also, the leftovers can easily be kneaded back together and used for future pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Shocked.gif
What a GREAT idea!!!

Gary Max

Heck I just pay BB a couple bucks for Beeswax sheets---I think I bought a 100 sheets last time I ordered. I figure that will last me years. No fuss no mess---works for me.
He has that all worked out----kinda sneaky---when I placed my first order with him---guess what he tossed in free??---Beeswax sheets---He got me hooked and now I can't quit.[:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
I also use the plumbers putty. I am not real fond of it though as the putty that I have access to here in Japan is very soft and a bit sticky, making it hard to really clean out. Most of it comes out easily but the residue is like sticker residue. It probably is just the Japanese version that I have here.

It is still better than keeping a sack of potatos around. IF I ever find some playdough here, I am going to try that.

Rifleman1776

From the day I started making pens and reading about this subject on pen forums, the question has always nagged me about using any kind of plug on tube ends when glueing..... Why? The plugging has proven to be a bigger bother for me than some occasional bits of glue inside the tubes. I have settled on epoxy for my gluing. If any gets inside I just pick it out with whatever tool is handy, awl, knife point, small screwdriver. Not a big deal. Recently I bought some thick CA. Having never used the thick, I experimented with it to glue in some tubes. On one, some got way inside. Now, admittedly, that was a mess and I had to run paper towel soaked with acetone through it several times to make the blank usable. But simple solution there, don't use CA, back to epoxy. Problem solved. No plugs for me. I've tried the beeswax thing and other stuff. No more. So, the question remains about using plug stuff......Why?

ahoiberg

I've tried the wax and was also gonna ask how you guys get it out, brass rod or something? I normally just use a q-tip to get the extra glue out and it hasn't been much of a problem for me... I might have to give the packing peanut or putty idea a go though.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />I've tried the wax and was also gonna ask how you guys get it out, brass rod or something? I normally just use a q-tip to get the extra glue out and it hasn't been much of a problem for me... I might have to give the packing peanut or putty idea a go though.

Read my post and consider not using any plug. It's extra steps and additional mess.

bjackman

Originally posted by Rifleman1776the question remains about using plug stuff......Why?

Frank,
For most woods my first choice of glues is polyurethane. When I use epoxy and CA I rarely plug the tubes, but for poly glue, for me, a plug in the end of the tube makes blank prep much easier. YMMV

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />why is it that epoxy doesn't get inside the tubes? and what type of epoxy would you recommend using?

I don't credit the epoxy for staying out of the tubes. It doesn't know any better than the other types. [:p] I guess, it is just my application process. I use toothpicks to apply and do so carefully. But, when a little does get inside, it comes out without much effort. I use the popular twin syringe 5 min. two part kind. For me, the foaming poly glues are mucho mess and I won't mess with them.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The question was asked on how to get the plug out...I use an old warped mandrel rod. I plug the brass tube and insert it into the blanks. Then while it is still in my hand I take the mandrel and punch out the plug. No more glue will get in the tube and I don't ahve to mess with trying to get it out after the glue has dried. It is really no problem at all and is very quick and clean.

mdburn_em

I use an Xacto knife to clean out the plug and it will also scrape out some of the glue if necessary. I use the back edge of the blade to press the barrel flush with the blank...no ca or gg on my fingers.

wjskip

most of the excess Ca gets on my fingers, anything that manages to miss the hands and gets into the tube is easily reamed out with a drill bit that is close to the diameter of the tube. no need to use a drill you can get it out by running it back and forth by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom