The Good, , , Bad , , , and the Ugly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Young

Decided to take a break this afternoon from sawing out clocks on the scrollsaw . I wanted to try out my new Robert Sorby deep bowl gouge. Got half way down on a deep bowl and BANG ! ! . That's the end of that one. Into the designer firewood box ;) Need more practice.
So not to be totally beat , I went to plan B and turned three cigar pens.
It would be nice if all forms of turning were as easy as pens are.

W.Y.

72935170.jpg

Hhmm..
I tried to post a picture several times in the usual manner but just get the dreaded red X in a box.
Is the site temporarily not accepting pictures?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Is the pic less than 90k? Does the filename contain only alphanumeric characters? Those are the two most common problems in loading pictures. [8D]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Our server does not like ampersands in file names in image tags. If you rename it on your server, then edit the post here, it will show up. I'll add that to my list of thing fo fix!

tipusnr

You can salvage the bowl by reshaping the blow-out into a pour spout. That was often done in clay bowls used by the settlers to transfer liquids and grains.

PenWorks

Leave it alone. Looks like a prefectly designed cigar ash tray. Just find a piece of glass to put in it. Anyways, you made up for it real good on the pens, they all look great. Anthony

Doghouse

Welcome to the exploding bowl club. I have a dent in my bandsaw from a recent explosion. We are still trying to remove the dent from the garage door from another. (New law, never turn with the door open.

That one is not that bad, finsh turnig it and call it a natural edge.

wayneis

I'm interested to know how you blew up the bowl, did you have a catch in your giddyup? I have a few bowl blanks that I been saving up for one of those days when I want something else to do. I'd rather not experence this catastrophy if at all possible. I noticed that a couple of them had small checks or cracks when I bought them[:0] Thats the problem with buying over the internet, you never know untill you recieve it. There are a couple of places that I won't be purchasing wood from anymore[:(!]

Wayne

William Young

To all that have responded to this topic I just want to say thanks.
I took the piece out of the designer firewood box and put it back on the lathe. I am not much for things with chunks out or ragged edges even though it is considered art by some. But that is just my personal preference and does not take away from ones that appreciate that sort of thing.
So now I have a 3" deep bowl instead of 4" . I finished it off with my round nose scraper because I am still intimidated by the the use of my bowl gouge.
I am not sure what the light colored part is just above the glue line of the pieces. It looks like it was a rough part that was not sanded out but that is not the case. Notice that it goes all the way through. It is as smooth as glass. I am wondering if it is the natural color of the wood there or if maybe glue migrated up into that piece when it was clamped together. It was actually quite smooth at completion of turning and required very little sanding.
W.Y.
birchbowl.jpg

Daniel

Looks like a save to me.
Not exactly what you started out for. But that is part of why they say an artist is there own worst critic. Only you know how far it missed the idea in your head. everyone else sees a lovely little bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom